Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard Hyundai uses the accent for rally type meets and such, especially over in Europe and such. I was just curious, how much you guys think it would cost to convert a standard Accent GT, to a rally Accent.

Not necessarly power wise, but more of just being able to handle the terrains and such.

This is something I've always wanted to do with my car, just as something fun on the side.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well it really depends on what you want. If you are looking to build an actual rally car to compete in performance events then it will be extremely expensive mainly because of the safety equipment that needs to go into the car. If your just looking to run rallycross where the car doesn't need to meet any specific safety requirements (other than being road worth) then it's not that bad. I've been considering getting a set of coilovers like the Ksport ones offered in the group buy but I'm still not too sure how much of this kind of abuse they can take. That and I really don't want to have the car lower than stock (preferably a little higher). IMO I would check out some local suspension shops and see how much it would cost to get a rally-spec suspension from another car fitted to the Accent or have them custom design a suspension set up for you with good struts and stiffer springs that will either raise or at least retain the stock ride height. That said I've run my car in a couple of rallycrosses and I do quite a bit of backroad driving with my stock set up without any problems. I figure for starters get a set of strut braces, front and rear swaybars, and even a good set of struts like the KYB GR-2's, or Koni adjustables. Again it just depends on exactly what you are planing to use the car for.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
1 million+ dollars for a true to rally car like they use.

But coilovers, better tires/rims, Sway Bars, Strut Bars... away you go.

Than you can dabble in other things like Racing Seats.. diff clutches... Race Helmets. My car had 2nd place in STS when I ran in it both times w/ Ksport coilovers, Rims w/ sticky tires and front sturt bar. Also the car was an automatic.. =).

Ksport is a great company.. they sponsor a 350Z in drifting.. so they can take some punishment. Plus w/ those coilovers you can rebuild them peice by peice. I've heard good things about Tein also.. but havnt seen anything from Tein for accent use.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Feb 21, 2006 2:09 PM]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where I'm from we have this:
http://www.californiarallyseries.com/

Also everywhere else they have this:
http://scca.com/Rally/Rally.asp?IdS=0115BB-B6B33C0&x=040|010&~=

Look into it. Every car, every class. From ZERO modifications to Full race. FWD and RWD too. They had their frist event here in San Diego last month and it was awesome.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would love to run my car in rallies as well. Because of where I live, I do a lot of back road driving too. I wish the stock ground clearance was a bit better...that plastic cover/shielding on the front underside of my car is done, and my tow hooks are wearing away. I've been looking for a suspension setup that either stiffens the stock ride height or raises it, but like you said moose, I bet you'd have to get a shop to make a custom setup. If anyone finds anything out, I'd def. be interested

·
Registered
453 Posts
saw something a while back that led me to believe that a 97 ser sentra's suspension would fit into our cars, so if you find an aftermarket setup for that car, the ground clearance would be higher.... however, if you look at rally cars, the ground clearance is no usually higher or as high as stock while thay run, you need a hard ass setup, k-sport is good, but it has created clearance problems for me... and I cant get it to go much higher than it is... but true rally stuff for our cars will need to be fabricated, If I were to start again(we share the same goal) in trying to build me car up, I would have bult some under-armour, protect the oil pan and tranny-oil pan(which I just f-ed up off-roading). so now I get to pound them out and change out the gaskets, and then I ahve another chance to build a sheet metal gaurd for them... anyway, good luck and email me if you ahve any questions or problems...

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
if only there was a way an evolution transaxle that could fit the lc with some work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm looking at some stock height springs with a higher spring rate. I'm also going to cut about 2 inches off the lip of my fenders. Depending on the sanctioning body, check before you do these modifications. You might just put yourself out of the class you want to race in by doing certain mods. Just choose the class you want to run in. Then build your car accordingly. Don't get too carried away with engine mods and such cause you might just be in a class where you wouldn't stand a chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts