Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum.
I see most post on suspension modifications talking about how low you can get the car and how large of tires. I'm not interested in lifting the car but in cross country/rally racing. What struts, springs and tires people are using for rally racing?

Also, if anyone is in a hyundai/rally car club here in New Mexico I would be interested in about that.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Some awesome rally shocks are DMS (drummond motor sport). Their 50 and 60mm lines will do the job quite well for you. They are full coilover units so you can raise the car up a bit for gravel, lower it for tarmac, and raise it quite high for mud and snow rallies. You can also buy a few sets of the dms coilover springs, so you can have everything from hard to soft to match the conditions. The more slippery the surface, the softer the spring.
The DMS units are also double adjustable, meaning you can adjust the compression and rebound independently.
You can also get triple adjustable external resevoir units but prepare to sell your house for those as they'll probably have to be custom made for you. These have separate settings for high speed and low speed damping. As you probably know, sometimes you have to drive literally 12mph in some snow rallies.

As for tires, the rally people here use Yoko, Kumho, and Pirelli. Michelin is just too pricey.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those DMS do look awesome but the best/only price I could find for the 50mm was $3695. I'm thinking more in the area of $500.
Honestly, I'm really too ignorant of the performance needs for rally racing parts. I'm not serious about the racing. I just want to tool around on some desert roads at high speeds.
Does anyone have any opinions on the KYB GR2 Gas Strut? One of the local 4x4 shops carries them. Are they more suited for street or rally?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
the gr2 shock is more suited for just daily driving, though ive heard some good things about them from some of the members here. its a little bit better than the stock struts.

·
Registered
646 Posts
$500? Ok, that's not gonna buy you any kind of rally suspension. I thought you were getting really serious into the sport. For $500, I would buy a good set of dampers like Koni (a little more than $500 but worth it) and keep your stock springs. You don't want to be any lower than stock for gravel conditions. And Koni is one of the only companies that doesn't overdampen compression, which is VERY important in rally and on rough surfaces. GR2 is a stock replacements and probably will not last very long driving hard on rough surfaces for extended periods of time. I rallied a Corolla using brand new OEM shocks and after TWO events (one I didn't even finish because of a puncture) they were blown. Get something tougher, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

So what I'm trying to say is, if you have $500 to spend, definitely spend it on shocks and not springs. Shocks are way way more important.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just scored some Weapon-R coil-overs for $95 on ebay. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks for all the help. I'll try to get Koni shocks.
What do you run as far as tire and wheel size?

In all my searching found this awesome site on building your own coil-overs. It's for a Fiat, but I'm sure most of the information is pertinent for any make.
http://www.mirafiori.com/~courtney/128/tech/coilover.html

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey AccentAE86, I noticed on another thread you mention Tokico Illumina. Where do you shop for those. I can't seem to find a decent site with them listed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Where you find Koni for $500. Last time I check, it take about 200 a piece just for Koni Sport. But heard it is really worth it. And don't use those Weapon R coilovers, can't find the post but some one try it and it blow his shocks.

Originally posted by AccentAE86
[body]
$500? Ok, that's not gonna buy you any kind of rally suspension. I thought you were getting really serious into the sport. For $500, I would buy a good set of dampers like Koni (a little more than $500 but worth it) and keep your stock springs. You don't want to be any lower than stock for gravel conditions. And Koni is one of the only companies that doesn't overdampen compression, which is VERY important in rally and on rough surfaces. GR2 is a stock replacements and probably will not last very long driving hard on rough surfaces for extended periods of time. I rallied a Corolla using brand new OEM shocks and after TWO events (one I didn't even finish because of a puncture) they were blown. Get something tougher, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

So what I'm trying to say is, if you have $500 to spend, definitely spend it on shocks and not springs. Shocks are way way more important.

[/body]
BTW, have anyone use those DMS shock before?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well just got my weapon-r coil overs today. They may not perform well, but they really do look cool. I will try to take some good pictures and post the results.
Does anyone know of some quantitative before and after tests I should put the car through?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts