Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on selling my RD2 for about 5 or 6K (what its worth), and buying an RD for around the same price, maybe a little less. Since my tib is worth way less then what I owe on it, I will still be paying my 240$ a month payment. If I buy an RD, I am planning on changing to CF hood and hatch, body molding, and new paint.

Wouldnt it be easier to just keep my RD2 (esp since it has lower miles), convert the front and back lights etc to RD, get a CF RD1 good like I wanted anyway, CF RD1 Hatch like I also wanted anyway, new tailights, bumpers, and fenders? lol big question

oh yeh still repaint it since its yellow......

How much would all of that run??

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Itd be easier and quicker and better just to get the RD. Only problem is you're gonna pay out your @ss to have a carbon fiber hatch made. If you're gonna convert the entire exterior of the RD2 to an RD1, thats senseless. The only time its cool is when you do an RD1 front end on an RD2, or vice versa.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
I'll agree, just do a front end conversion and leave the back.
If you must do the whole thing then cell your car.
It would be foolish as hell though to sell yours for $6k and buy an older one for the same price. Also, depending on how much you are upside down depends on if you could even do it since most banks will only advance a set percentage over wholesale (not retail) on a car.

If you still plan on doing a full conversion, then take the thousands of dollars it would take to do it and buy your loan down so you are not upside down and you can trade without negative equity.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you didnt underastand my question....

Ok let me break it down.... i have BAD credit = cannot finance another car for 7 years....

'would' sell my car maybe get 5 or 6 K for it.... Would still have to pay payments around 200$ a month not even having the car anymore + saving up 3 or 4 or 5 K to buy an RD1 which are hard as hell to find with everything I want, + then doing the work on that car (CF hood, gill molding, repaint).....

All I want to know, is how much would it cost to convert the front and back to RD....
if im going to be buying a RD hood anyway, why not just convert the whole thing..

Do you guys understand??? Yes it will be expensive, but its going to be expensive to save up money to buy the RD and do all the work I plan on doing anyway...
BTW I want my RD to look much like Jaws's minus the front bumper.

I personally HATE the RD2 front AND back, I love the RD shark spoiler, and it doesnt look right on an RD2!!!

YES ITS EXPENSIVE, how much???

please read over and over until u get it......

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
The problem I see here with selling your car when you owe more than it is worth... You won't get the title to it so you can sell it without paying it off...

Ok, that is out of the way... the hardest parts of converting your car to an RD (which by the way, I agree.. the RD is prettier than the RD2 IMHO) would be the radiator support and the rear bulkhead.. you would need to convert both of those parts.. which are integral parts of the body, to the RD style.. that means cutting them out and welding in the proper panals.

Personally, I do not think the rear of the RD2 is that bad... expecially since thanks to Mair, there are Carbon fibre hatches availible for that style rear..

Fenders are the same for both styles.. but you would need new bumpers and lights all around... not to mention the hood and hatch.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Ok, now it is your turn to get hooked on phonics. We did understand what you were saying but you didn't hear what you wanted to hear. It will be hella expensive so if you could actually save the money up to do both the front and rear conversion, you could save the money to buy an RD1. The fromt end isn't so bad, but the rear will cost you out the ass. The simple stuff on the rear is the hatch and bumper but then you have to cut out part of your rear 1/4 panel to fit the tail lights. Overall, you are looking at about as much money as buying a used RD1. That being said, do you want to pay several thousand dollars to do the conversion, or would you rather spend it on buying another car? Use your head instead of getting pissy and you might actually come up with a semi intelligent thought.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Ok, so then go ahead spend the thousands of dollars to have it done and not have it be a structurally stable as an actuall RD1, instead of just saving up maybe $2000-$4000 and get a decently used RD1. :hmmm: I currently owe about $7000 on my first RD1 but I want one with a 5spd and a roof thats not dented, so instead of paying about $3000 to have a new roof skin put on and doing a tranny swap, Im instead paying $1500 for another RD1 with a 5spd and a non dented roof. See, you can either make a stupid expensive decision, or a smart, less expensive decision. Converting the RD2 to an RD1 is just completey assinine and pointless. You are stupid if you go ahead and do it.

[Edited by Tibbychick on Sep 30, 2004 7:22 PM]

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
OK, forget all of this RD1 RD2 stuff, none of that matters. Your problem is this..... you can't sell your car and keep making payments. It doesn't work like that. In order to sell the car, you need the title. You can't get the title unless you pay off the loan. Basically, you don't own your car, the bank does. You can't sell something you don't own.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
also, before you buy a different car because you dont like the way this one looks, pay off your **** and fix the credit. then you wont have problems like these... even though youre trying to create more with this EXACT idea

1 - 9 of 9 Posts