Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HEy! I searched and studied a lot of possibilities to convert rear drum brakes to discs on my 1996 X3 hyundai excel (accent), and i came to this question:

EXACTLY how different are rear susp. arms of X3 and LC ? why wouldnt be possible to swap discs from LC to X3? What problems (custom work) would i have to deal with? let me say i'm not a newbie regarding car "tweaking" betaswap+m62, and that i have access to a local mechanic.
any useful info??
thanks
Igor

p.s.: i see DREROB is putting/has put Tibby (pre '01) rear brakes on his LC,... why not put it on X3 also?

would it be easier to SWAP also the rear control arms? how are LC and X3 rear control arms compared one to another, regarding length and mounting holes? With swapping the whole thing you would get rid of mounting problems on the hub side, but how is it with fixing the swapped LC control arms to the X3 chassy?

·
Registered
56 Posts
lol i dont' have an answer..but i just looked into converting my rear drums to disc on my 97 elantra..so i guess my question would be could i put those same ones on mine? or can i just rob them from a tiburon??

·
Registered
250 Posts
i sell rear disc adaptors for the X3 and LC
with them you simply re-use tiburon caliper,holder pads and rotors on the x3

for the LC you use the same parts exetp you have to either redrill the tiburon disc to the 4 x100 patern,change to the 4 x 114.3 patern or find rotors with a suitable offset,diameter and a 4 x 100 patern

LC and X3 adaptors are slightly different to clear the body and cotrol arms

on both car you keep the OEM hubs and you can keep the OEM hand brake cables (tibby cable can be used if you need to get new ones)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi, im interested you said you sell rear disc adaptors for the X3, could you ship to usa?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for the lantra you copul modify the brackets
or simply go to the scrap yard, and pick up a complete rear tiburo nassembly (spindles caliper....)
most tib have disc brakes early one sometimes didn,t have them
hey... i was checking the photos in the other thread...
how thick are these brackets anyway? 3/4 inch? or are they less thick?
i wonder would they hold the forces of braking? what material are they made of? steel?
hmmm, i think you really have to be sure when you 're dealing with brakes!
thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
those have been used for at least 5 years in several cars without problem...
i wouldn't come out with something that doesn't work, especially brakes

they're made out of steel, can't remember the exact thickness but IIRC it's 3/8''

1 - 13 of 13 Posts