Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where the sensor is for the rear hatch?

At first it never worked, now it's on all the time.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
RED02GT said:
Anyone know where the sensor is for the rear hatch?

At first it never worked, now it's on all the time.
It is a switch by the latch striker on the jamb.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's, I'll look at it in the morning.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK, perhaps there was a misunderstanding.
I was talking about the rear hatch on the 5 door Elantra GT, and there is nothing near the striker plate at all.

There is nothing at all along the perimiter of the door or the door jamb.
I thought it would be like the type you would see, like common push button sensor on the regular door.

I can only assume it's a mercury type switch that has come loose and is just hanging there somewhere inside the door but do not want to tear the whole thing apart without asking first if anyone else has fixed this.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
RED02GT said:
OK, perhaps there was a misunderstanding.
I was talking about the rear hatch on the 5 door Elantra GT, and there is nothing near the striker plate at all.

There is nothing at all along the perimiter of the door or the door jamb.
I thought it would be like the type you would see, like common push button sensor on the regular door.

I can only assume it's a mercury type switch that has come loose and is just hanging there somewhere inside the door but do not want to tear the whole thing apart without asking first if anyone else has fixed this.
On the hatch door, where the U shaped striker (in the middle on the bottom of the jamb) there should be a switch that is somewhat hidden by the panel.

To see the switch, remove the bottom section of the interior trunk panel right above the main trunk floor (the cover that is over the spare tire) that ajacent to the bumper. The switch should be just to the left of the U shaped striker and is usually mounted on the same plate that the U is welded to. There should be 2 10mm bolts that hold that striker in and once that is removed, the switch should come out as a part of that plate. It is usually hidden and not easy to see without removing the interior panel that covers the area.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cclngthr said:
On the hatch door, where the U shaped striker (in the middle on the bottom of the jamb) there should be a switch that is somewhat hidden by the panel.

To see the switch, remove the bottom section of the interior trunk panel right above the main trunk floor (the cover that is over the spare tire) that ajacent to the bumper. The switch should be just to the left of the U shaped striker and is usually mounted on the same plate that the U is welded to. There should be 2 10mm bolts that hold that striker in and once that is removed, the switch should come out as a part of that plate. It is usually hidden and not easy to see without removing the interior panel that covers the area.
I can easily see inside of the hole and reached in with fingers to feel all around, further than the latch could reach, deapth, width and length, and there is nothing in there.
But just to be 1000% sure I will pull the plastic cover off and look again, but I doubt it's there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cclngthr, guessing is not allowed!

cclngthr said:

Everything you said turned out to be 100% totaly WRONG!!

Have you ever worked on a 2002 GT rear hatch?

Ever seen one?

There was NOTHING anywhere near the striker plate!

And after tearing apart the hatch to see everything up in there, I pulled the latch as there was nothing elsewhere and extra wires going to it and the rear hatch switch is inside the latch itself!

Mine had the wires, that were three times longer than they needed to be, were caught between the latch and the mounting surface on the hatch grounding the circuit out and causing the light and indicator to be on.

After reparing the wiring and verifying they were sound, the switch inside the latch is not functioning so the car does not know the hatch is open when it is, but atleast the light is not on all the time and the alarm will now set as before it thought the door was open and was waiting for it to close before arming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts