Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to install a functional hood scoop and intake on my LC2. Thiese are the plans I have kicked around and i'm sorta at a loss.

I am going to fab a box and mount it on the underside of my hood with a port on the firewall side connected to a flexable hose.
This hose will run into the Intake but at some point I need to add a filter in there.
I was thinking, and this is the part where you can't laugh. I was thinking of useing a vacuum bag type filter and putting it on the end of one of the connections.
I would cut the bag and fit it as sort of a bearier and hold it on with a clamp or even a strong rubber band.
Now I need to know if I am off my rocker or if this is actually going to work. :??:

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I can't see why it wouldn't work, but a vacuum bag is not designed as an automotive air filter and it might need changed really often to have good airflow, and it might not flow well even brand new.

I also am building an intake on my LC2 and making my hood scoop functional. I am building a 2 piece ABS plastic airbox and having the hood close down sealing the two with a panel filter sandwiched between them. I'm about 1/4 of the way done now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of that way aswell but I really didn't want to mount anything to the engine. How are you mounting the bottom peice?
I was going to make an aluminum box and mount it to the under side of the hood.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I am solid mounting the bottom piece to the engine and using a thick foam mating surface above the filter to allow for engine vibration/torquing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know of any real good inline filters that may work. I'm haveing a hell of a time finding them online.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I don't know of a specifically designed inline air filter, but you could get a sheet of the cleanable foam air filter material I'm sure if you look hard enough and make it work as an inline filter. You could also buy one of those filter tops for a carburator (the round thing on top of a carburator air filter) and chop out a bit of it to fabricate an inline filter.

This:

Or take a foam filter and trim and glue it to the inside of your tube. You'll have to be able to take the tube apart to clean the filter though.

Like these:

[Edited by 187sks on Feb 28, 2006 11:09 AM]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
didn't think about foam. that may work out great. Thanks for the tips. When you get yours done let me know. I should be starting mine by the end of the month, hopefully.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I'll post it all up when I'm done. I'm taking pictures along the way. I'm taking my time though and I'm not sure when I will finish.

·
Registered
228 Posts
what are you planning to do incase water gets in there.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I am building a shelf into the back of my hood scoop above the filter to allow excessive water to escape, and I have a drain in the bottom of the intake tube to allow water that gets by that to escape through a foam breather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts