Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how to remove and change the E-brake handle grip on an '01 Accent? i want to change mine but i donno how to get it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
not that I've taken it off of my accent, but on my other car its actually a whole assembly bolted and glued together. It's not like a shift knob where you can just unscrew something.

I think it looks good stock, not sure why you would want to change it, it looks pretty good. Did you want to repaint it or something?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i am the 2nd owned of my car, the first owner was an 85 year old lady. she smoked, and i noticed that the sides of my E brake handle are stained a very dirty yellow color. and i gave a co worker a ride home the other night and they commented on it, and it made me feel unconfortable and i lost some of my hard earned pride, i had to fix the car up because 85 year old ladies dont exactly go out of there way to maintain the engine or any part of the car. so i want to change it. and paint does not do it for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Well, without going over to my girlfriends to look at her LC I'd say that you'd have to buy the entire E-brake assembly to replace the part you want. Car manufacturers usually sell the whole part, not individual pieces. I'd expect it to cost in between $100 and $250.

If it worries you that much I suggest painting it first. Here's a tip from another thread

Sand with 1000 or 800 grit sand paper, then wash the part in degreaser to remove armor all residue, and dust from sanding. RINSE throughly, then let dry overnight.

Use "krylon" automotive primer. If found it at my local hardware store and it KICKS BUTT! 2 coats of that (with the above instructions) and any paint will stick, no problems!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thank you for your help i will think about painting it a little more

·
Registered
127 Posts
theres always the option my buddy did in his some you cant take off but instead you have to cut off the handle then you install the new one but honestly i would just paint them the handle doesnt look bad stock but still an option.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have a few of those yellow stains on my steering wheel but I don't think it's from smoking. Mine were from the previous owner as well but my car didn't smell like smoke. I also smoke and don't leave any stains like that anywhere to my knowledge. What I did in my car is paint all of the plastic that kind of looks like it is trying to imitate leather. I painted it all black and it looks pretty good. You'll probably have to take a brush to the parking brake handle since you don't want to be spraying all over the place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my car didnt smell like smoke when i got it but that is because the dealership cleaned it. also look to see if you have the same yellow stains on your steering wheel, i also found them there as well

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Yeah I did the same thing except I hated that ugly cheep grey color the LC2s have inside to black. I used duplicolor Vynal and fabric paint. Trust me its your best friend when painting your interior. I wanted to change my e-brake to the Tiburon e-brake but i dont think it will fit..at least the handle will but not sure the entire assembly. The duplicolor make it all look like its stock that color...its awsome.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I used duplicolor on my seats too. it makes them a bit stiff and crusty, but they break in and the colour stays.

·
Registered
183 Posts
why not get some chewing tabacco and make the entire handle yellowish tint may be easier. Seriously try some graffiti remover the stuff comes in little whipes like you would get the armor all stuff for you dash. It's used to get permanent marker off tables in schools and stuff. Just becarful with that stuff use gloves that will get it off for sure!

Wow ereeves116 that looks really good. Like a professional job i might do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts