Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Hyundai Santa fe 2.4L, I replaced the timing belts that had failed and it still won't start, I checked the compression and got 175+ on all cyls It trys to start but kicks back on the starter like its out of time All timing marks all line up Maybe I'm over looking something Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
499 Posts
Did you check that cyl#1 was at top dead center when you put the belt on?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Take the belt cover off and check that they still line up. Sometimes the belts can slip a notch as the adjuster tightens up. Also check that the plug wires are on the proper plugs since this will also create backfires. When you find the problem please post the answer I would like to know what it was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Santa fe is fixed

:) I thank you all for your help! It was a bad crank sensor! It sucked because, had to take timing belt back off to change it and power steering pump and bracket and the injecters cover to run the 3ft lead :mad: So the next i do one it get a new sensor "weather it needs it or not" Thanks rocconi :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks for the update. A crank sensor is just a coil of wire with a magnet in the center. I am surprised that the ignition would even fire with a bad one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts