Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone :)

I need some help...my wiper blades have basically stopped moving. On the fastest setting, they make maybe one full swing per ten minutes.

A friend of mine said it might be my rheostat. I checked in my manual and, of course it doesn't tell me where to find this thing.

Is my buddy right? And if so, where is my rheostat? I live in Canada...we've got a lot of snow here, and it's melting, which makes my visibility pretty bad on the road, damn near nothing with wiper blades that barely move.

·
Registered
91 Posts
someone correct me if im wrong...but as far as i know the rheostat is the dimmer switch for the dash lights...so i dont think that would be affecting the wiper blades. it could be the wiring or the wiper motor itself

·
Registered
466 Posts
Rheostat is the dimmer switch. Wont be that. Try the wiper motor first.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
It could be the delay unit, in your wiper switch. The way to tell is to check this: When it does wipe does it wipe at full speed or does the wiper just move very slowly constantly? If the wiper moves at full speed it is an issue with your wiper delay. If it moves slowly it is most likely a bad motor or a bad ground from the motor.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
A dimmer switch is a rheostat... but a rheostat is just a variable resistor.

It could be the motor, but it also could be the armature/linkage to the two blades. Before you order any parts, disconnect the wiper motor from the linkage and see if it still turns.

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=45933

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It is MOST likely your Wiper Linkage.

Your wiper motor drives the wiper linkage, which turns the wiper arms. When the Linkage starts to seize, it slows prior to complete locking up. Lubrication will not greatly improve this condition.

I say its the linkage.

Lemme guess, you drive an accent or an elantra?

-Grimmy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts