Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to put in my new KVR brake pads today and i don't have any power tools (impact wrench), since money is a problem i can't even complete DIY jobs, and im not going to a mechanic because its really easy to do the brake pads, i was tryin to unbolt the top 17mm screw and couldn't do it, anyone have any suggestions, i got really frustrated, and wasted an hour for nothing, i would recommend to get the tools before the aftermarket parts, because now im frustrated with the front right wheel still sqeaking, someone on here has to know a solution please.........

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You can put a bar over the ratchet then give it a go, gives more leverage and makes it easy. You can also put a wrench on it (open end) and use the non open end to attach a open end over and pull on the second wrench. Its hard to explain but put one wrench on the bolt and grab another wrench and play w/ it until you can turn the bolt with the second wrench. Pb blaster helps alot, or just some wd-40.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, tomorrow round 2 with the brake pad project

·
Registered
978 Posts
just pull/push really really hard.

I used a wrench like e explained, but turn the wheel so you are not doing it in the wheel well, otherwise it's a pain.

You could also use a hammer. The basic fact is that imact and air rachets are cool, I have them with with the compressor. You can exert more torque with a breaker bar then you can with an impact. (john force signature Mac impact is what I use, rebuilt every 2 years no matter how much I use it (it's a really really good impact).

Use a pipe as well, might have to step on the bar, but it will come off. If you are replacing the rotors as well, just spray some pb blaster on it, go eat, then come out, it's an amazing product. Do not spray it on any seals tho.

Brake clean is your friend. have fun!!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
You only need to loosen the bottom bolt... Then swing the caliper up and remove pads, replace pads, compress the piston, then swing the caliper back down...

·
Registered
978 Posts
No, No, he needs to take off the bracket to get the rotor off. there are only three bolts on the brake system. The bottom caliper bolt, and two that hold the braket on. He said 17mm which is the two bolts on the bracket, the caliper bolt is smaller, a 14 If I am thinking correctly.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I use a 2-3ft long steel pipe I picked up from Home Depot that fits over the end of my socket for those extra stuck bolts. Load the bolt up gradually so that it doesnt snap and so that everything breaks free smoothly and you dont smash your hand. Its a really simple job honestly, so long as you have the breaker bar and a C-clamp to compress the caliper piston.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
skeird do you have any pictures of this piston?, i am just replacing the pads btw, not the rotors, so i only have to remove a 14mm bolt correct? i was trying to take the wrong bolt off then, the 17mm there was two of them 1 3 or 4 inches above the other, but im not so sure which bolt i will be removing to just swap in the new KVR pads, thanks for all the help, and i would use the pb blaster and the grease to put on both ends of the pads to make it not sqeak, correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I only had to take one bolt out...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
On my x3 I did the pads/rotors on the same time. Im not sure which bolts had to come out. If u take the wrong one out you can always put it back in lol

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If you look at the caliper, it should be real freaking obvious what two bolts are holding the halves of the caliper together. Remove the lower bolt and swing the caliper out of the way. When you remove the pads, you'll see the piston clear as day.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Originally posted by 03-Accent-03
[body]
I only had to take one bolt out...
[/body]
to get the pads replaced, but he is putting on new rotors as well, well, i hope he is, to replace them with new ones or get them turned at autoshop for like 10 bucks

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is it better to replace brake pads and rotors at the same time? am i ok just to replace the pads or is it not going to matter?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i just tried to get the pads in and they don't fit, they fit inside but the caliper won't go over them both, i got them from HP the item number is M7293 and they are the KVR pads, anyone know why the caliper wouldn't clear them, i had the shims on them and all, took out the 1 bolt which was 12mm on the bottom, lifted the caliper took old pads out replaced with new ones, and the caliper would not closed, i tried messing with it for more than 10 minutes but the caliper just wouldn't go down over them, anyone can help or do i have the wrong pads???? FVCK this is pissing me off, now its a damn problem!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think its the caliper piston that skeird was talking about, im just hard headed, i got 3/4ths the job done, and i stopped as i encountered the problem, i tried pushing it with a screwdriver, but i dont have a C clamp, wish i had the tool to begin with, if at all possible and anyone doing brakes can you take a picture and show the caliper piston being compressed with the C clamp or whatever else you used to compress it, i want my new pads in :( sorry for being so dumb at such an easy thing to do

·
Registered
453 Posts
this is why you need the c-clamp you need to re-compress the piston to get it to fit back over the rotor... look for a small round piston that is pushing the pads into the rotor....

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how much will this c clamp cost me?:disappointed:

·
Registered
978 Posts
use anything, from channel locks to clamps, anything that can exert decent amount of pressure.

@@@@@ DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THE CUP ITSELF @@@@@

use an old pad, I think this was stated above, and clamp on that, never on the cup itself.

a c-clamp is around 4 dollars at any store (hardware)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts