Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought i'd share it wiht you guys. i 've never seen anything like this untill 04 RSX S got towed in for "No start". i would have never knows taht "golden nugget" in 2nd pic was once a piston :D
pretty much all that happend this moron missed a shift and went form 3rd redline to 2nd.
and to top this off Acura is covering this under warrenty even tho ECU data log showed insane overrev. makes you wish hyundai had customer service liek this huh? i know yo'ure thinking someone may have had some strins pulled....nope
had 15k on the clock when this happend

·
Registered
616 Posts
holy **** ecu logs rpm's??? im supised i got a new motor and trans out of hyundai under warranty.... WOW now i guess i really screwed em!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
wouldn't it just bounce off the rev limiter anyway? shoot i went from 60mph in a 87 ford ranger 2.3 liter in fifth.......tried to grab 4th and got second instead. nothing bad happenend.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Holy crap, the bloody valve wedged itself sideways into the port!? :shocked:

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
well... you figure probably a 1500 rpm drop from second to third.... and redline in third to second would put the engine at least 1500 over it's limit... Considering how high Honda engines rev, that was probably close to ten grand.. he might have also damaged the tranny when those front wheels tried to lock from the reverse torque.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm, unless this is another case of someone doing the same thing to the same car, it's old news. There's a video of him doing it on the net somewhere.

EDIT: Here's a vid, prolly not the same guy though. http://rsx.clubrsx.com/videos/RSX-S_misshift.mpeg

Also, in my search for the vid, I found that a LOT of RSX owners are having the same problem, thus putting pressure on Acura to fix the problem.

[Edited by BlackTibby on Sep 19, 2004 7:31 AM]

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by BlackTibby
[body]
Hmmmmmmmm, unless this is another case of someone doing the same thing to the same car, it's old news. There's a video of him doing it on the net somewhere.

EDIT: Here's a vid, prolly not the same guy though. http://rsx.clubrsx.com/videos/RSX-S_misshift.mpeg

Also, in my search for the vid, I found that a LOT of RSX owners are having the same problem, thus putting pressure on Acura to fix the problem.

[Edited by BlackTibby on Sep 19, 2004 7:31 AM]
[/body]
No ofcorse it's not new news they've been doing this since they came out in 02 but the consequences are not always this severe. this is 3rd rsx with blown engien at my dealer

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Well Al, here is a question. How tight is the RSX's shift pattern and how easy is it to navigate?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually its not a short as you might expect. it's defenetly better then a GT tib. i never had a problem with shifting at all it seems very straight forward. i never had the ballls to redline in 3rd in dealers car since speed limit is all 45. i think it's so easy to miss 4th is because comparing to an accent shifter is higher and further from you (to the right) so when you're all hopped up on adrenaline and shifting got to pay attention and make sure hand goes straight down otherwise the driver will naturaly pull the hand towrds yourself falling right in to 2nd. also sideway play of the shift between say 2/4/6 is very short and close together but up and down shifts are relatevely long....i am sure this plays major role in this incident.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I blame it on stupid kids not knowing how to shift. There is a proper technique when racing and on a manual you don't pistol grip or hold the shifter straight on top for the 3-4 shift. You put your hand on the left side of the shifter, with your thumb pointing down. That way if you miss a shift you hit 6th and don't blow your engine.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Originally posted by Hyundai92Excel
[body]
he prolly had the clutch fully engaged when that happened. there ain't any rev limiter in the world that can slow a car from 60mph to proper speed range for second gear.
[/body]
i let the clutch out completely when i shifted to second. all it did was rev to the sky.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't understand this at all -- the transmission on my Accent wouldn't let me downshift like that, even if I tried -- it's like there's something blocking off the shift gate (not sure about it since it's my first manual). Wouldn't an RSX have something similar?

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
yea.. it's called syncro rings telling you that they cannot accellerate the second gear fast enough to meet your demands.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
^^^Have never been refused gate entry after learning how to blip properly. :D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
this has been happening since the car came out .... alot of people complain about the closeness of the gears .... but its more just stupid kids who dont know how to drive and not paying any attention to their driving .... im surprised they covering under warranty ... ive always read that they check the circumstances under the blown engine and go for there..... too many stories of them being screwed out of it because of their own stupidity ....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts