Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relative newb when it comes to Hyundais as I've only had mine about six months but the engine seems to be running quite hot. I have the base Accent hatchback with the 12v engine. I'm burning quite a bit of oil and while the engine seems to be running very hot the needle on the temp guage never gets past 1/2 way. Is this normal? I'm putting about a quart of oil in every month. Car has 125k miles on it. Five speed transmission and commuting to work I maintain about 59 mph (getting close to 40 mpg).
I've thought of cutting the hood for some louvers and running an oil cooler, are these going to be helpful at all? Is the radiator sufficiently sized for these cars? Any help would be appreciated.
Reposted from the Accent forum.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is the radiator sufficiently sized for these cars? Any help would be appreciated.
Reposted from the Accent forum.
i doubt the rad is to blame. i've got an x3 accent which came with the 1.5 sohc engine. its now got a turbocharged beta engine (250whp), but still has the original x3 radiator.

i've always wondered if the car would overheat, but it never has. so i'd guess your rad is not the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the input.
How accurate are these temperature gauges?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No it is not the rad, it is wear and tear if your going through oil like that then most likely piston rings are worn down and what is happening oil is being regurgitated into the into air/fuel mix hence the burning of oil. The best way to check is to do a compression test, you can get these at almost any auto parts store and refer to the service manual for the proper compression psi. I have a 1.6 DOHC 01 accent and im experiencing a similar issue of running hot but burning small amounts of oil. Honestly if it is the rings your better off getting rid of the car because if your not going to do a overhaul yourself, a shop will charge you a arm and a leg.

Hope it works out Graham

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
My car has always run just slightly under the half-way point on the temperature gauge... if it gets over half-way, I would be concerned.

In terms of using oil, in addition to the reason aboves, check from leaks behind the engine... Mine uses about an 1/8 quart of oil every 1200 miles, but didn't start using until about 160,000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oil: I replaced the oil filler cap and I now see less oil on the valve covers from that area. Looks like the rubber gaskets tend to go on these 3valve engines? I'm assuming that's due to the heat. Which brings me to another point.
Heat: I replaced the thermostat and I noticed the 'stat was rated at 88C (192F?) and the replacement one was 82C (180F?). The car runs noticeably cooler now and that makes me happier. But that makes me wonder, why was there an 88C thermostat in there? Autozone lists two 'stats, a 192 and a 180. There were two different engines for the X3's, right? (I think it's an X3, it's a '98.) How do I find out which one (thermostat) came with the 3valve engine?
O2 sensor: I also replaced my O2 sensor at the same time as my thermostat and my CEL finally went out. Well, it came back yesterday and now I'm throwing the following codes:
P0141, P0138 and P0442. Would running a cooler thermostat throw an engine code related to running too rich, i.e. the P0138, engine running too lean or too rich? However the P0442 is telling me there is possibly a leak in the engine which could cause a misfire condition which could also be P0138.
So does anybody think these conditions are related or would I have two separate issues? First thing I'm going to try to do is see if I have a bad connection on the O2 sensor then I'll try to see if I have a vacuum leak. I haven't heard anything obvious yet, other than it running (seemingly) kind of rough.
I haven't been driving the car long enough to tell what my oil usage is down to yet, not holding my breath, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the CEL went out the other day. Woo hoo!
I filled the tank back up and now the CEL is back on. Ugh. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it goes out and/or get the codes read again. I find it interesting that the CEL came back on immediately after filling up the tank...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i found that if you fill up with 91 octane your check engine light goes off and if you put in 87 octane it goes back on. my car also runs hot but never runs below half on the temaperature gauge, i am about to replace the thermostat with a new one. my big problem right now is the oil leaking i have replaced the oil dipstick tube which was broken about a year ago. Now i have a new leak i dont know where but i am getting drips from the bottom of the oil pan, i am going to replace the oil fill cap to cause its always soaked under the hood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts