Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

Scoupe engine swap or turbo???

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Justinhyundaiscoupels 
#1 ·
Hey everyone this is my first time posting in the forums. I recently purchased a 1994 Scoupe LS. Now i want it to go a lot harder so i was thinking of an engine swap or adding a turbo. I've done some research and read that the 4g63 would be the engine of choice. Would the 4g63 fit in the engine bay?? Would it be easier to just buy a turbo and intercooler?? Which would be the better alternative?? I got a qoute for a 4g63 for $1250 AUS without installation. By the way cool forum 8D.

#2 ·
Hey welcome to the boards!

The 4G63 swap does not apply to your Scoupe. Only 91-92 Scoupes that came with the Mitsubishi 4G15 are logical candidates for that swap. If your engine is not already turbo, then I imagine you could get the exhaust manifold, turbo, and intercooler for significantly le$$ than that engine quote. You'll probably need the ECU as well.

Bretton and VALKYRIE YB70 and a few others I can't recall seem to be the resident Scoupe-turbo maestros here, so hopefully they'll chime in with some more relevant information.

Good luck with your project!

#3 ·
Hey Carlo!.......Pucci is correct......the engine in `93/`95 Scoupes is not compatible with Mitsu. powerplants as we have Hyundai`s own Alpha 1 motor & everything is different.
Now the obvious thing to spring to mind, on ways to up the power of a n.a. Scoupe, is to swap in either the whole engine from an Scoupe Turbo, or to bolt on the turbo etc. from one of these to your motor.
The big problem here is that, according to your countryman, Bretton of Performance Styling Centre, only 70 of these turbocharged models (G.T.`s) were ever brought to Australia, so both engines & also sets of parts are going to be hard to find!.
To make matters worse, the Scoupe Turbo has so many engine modifications to enable it to handle boost, different sensors, wiring harness etc., that the `bolt-on parts` option is not really practical.
In conclusion, if I were in your position, I would probably settle for swapping-in a 2 litre Beta engine from a Tiburon or Elantra. This has been done successfully & you can search in the Hybrid Forum for more info..
Cheers,
Nick.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.