Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not the belts cause it only happens when i turn the car on and turn the wheel all the way either side it get a high screeching sound. When i first turn on the car i hear it then when i rev it idels down and the sound goes away. I believe (have heard) it is the power steering pump going. I just hit 100K so its possible. any adivce. Wanna get it fixed asap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Timlbcplayboy said:
I know it's not the belts cause it only happens when i turn the car on and turn the wheel all the way either side it get a high screeching sound. When i first turn on the car i hear it then when i rev it idels down and the sound goes away. I believe (have heard) it is the power steering pump going. I just hit 100K so its possible. any adivce. Wanna get it fixed asap.
Hey Tim, I don't know if you know or not, but take the car into Costa Mesa Hyundai & see Paul. Let him know that you know Danny & I & that your a member of Hyper & he will take great care of you. If you have any problems with him, just give me a call & I will talk to him for you. But, it's probably the power steering pump.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like power steering pump, possibly getting pissed since you're over exerting it....You never want to turn and hold the steering wheel all the way over to either side....so don't worry about it unless it screams at you when you're driving normally.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It is a lose belt. The noise happens when you start because the alternator is charging the battery.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It makes the sound when im driving sometimes when i downshift, or making a tight turn. I starts to screech without moving anything mostly when i start the car up. More worse when its cold outside. So generally mornings when i roll to work.

·
Registered
502 Posts
for sure i know its the belt check your p.s. belt for cracks. because mine is the same thing. nothing much to worry about but it is annoying.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a diagnostic on the car and checked it out. The belts dry and wearing down so the reason it screeces is the dry belt againtst the pulley and when i turn it puts tension on the pulley. The reason it does when it starts up is cause the belt is dry and not warmed up. So it will be alot cheaper to fix then the pump thank god!!! About $50

·
Registered
596 Posts
I dont know about your belts but mine are always dry...
Unless by dry you mean cold...
I had the exact same problem that you had...
The power stearing belt was not re-tensioned properly after a service and it would screech on start up untill the belt warmed up...

Was really bad as it was winter at the time...

Cheers
scythe

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fixed it. Got all new belts, decided to replace all three. I was at 100k so mines as well. Fixed it though!!!! Belts was the million dollar answer!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
yeah im should change all my belts some time soon when i get a job. i believe my power steering belt is making the same noise yall are describing. minor cracks in it & when it warms up the sound goes away like yall say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts