Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best method of getting seafoam into the cylinders? Which hose and where? if i put it in my oil do i have to change it immediately after? can i pour it directly in the throttle body? thanks Guys

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Pull the hose to your brake booster and pour it in there.

I don't like leaving it in my oil for very long before draining and refilling. It's good at cleaning but it's not a very good motor oil.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
If you're looking under the hood from standing in front of the car it's the big round thing on the firewall on the right. It has a deal with your brake fluid resevoir sticking out of the front of it. The hose you want to pull is on the large round brake booster, pull it from the booster side so that the engine will suck in the Seafoam. It's a black rubber hose maybe 5/8" or so in diameter.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Don't forget...

Don't let the engine soak up the Seafoam toooo fast. You'll need 2 people in order to do it, and keep the engine over 2k RPM. Use half the can through the brake booster, and pour the other half into the engine oil. Let the sucker soak for a good 30 minutes-45 minutes. Then start the car, DON'T LET IT DIE because the plugs will be wet and you'll have to remove them and clean them. Sprint the car up and down the street, and after it stops smoking, drain and refill the oil.

It'll feel brand new again!

Howie!~

·
Registered
573 Posts
I usually just dump it in the intake manifold with the engine off and let it sit. Usually just long enough for me to smoke about three cigarettes, and then I start it up and drive around for a while.

Do it all the time with my bmw...works perfect!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
draccent said:
I usually just dump it in the intake manifold with the engine off and let it sit. Usually just long enough for me to smoke about three cigarettes, and then I start it up and drive around for a while.

Do it all the time with my bmw...works perfect!
Ok I dont mean to sound like an idiot but I stumbled onto this thread and would just like to know what seafoam is and what are you cleanning with it? :confused:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Seafoam is an engine cleaner... Basically it breaks down the carbon deposits in the engine and blows them out of the exhaust in big plumes of smoke. It's kinda fun.

The I've used the aerosol version of Seafoam, and I spray it straight into the intake manifold and it is very similar to doin it using the bottle, but I've never actually dumped the bottle of sefoam through the intake manifold. That would seem kidna bad mainly because of the possibility of hydrolock.

Howie~

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Asian_907 said:
Seafoam is an engine cleaner... Basically it breaks down the carbon deposits in the engine and blows them out of the exhaust in big plumes of smoke. It's kinda fun.

The I've used the aerosol version of Seafoam, and I spray it straight into the intake manifold and it is very similar to doin it using the bottle, but I've never actually dumped the bottle of sefoam through the intake manifold. That would seem kidna bad mainly because of the possibility of hydrolock.

Howie~
Hydrolock isn't possible using Seafoam. Seafoam is pure petroleum. Hydrolock is caused by water (hence "hydro") getting into the cylinders. Water makes a realllly crappy lubricant, and it doesn't like combusting. So bye-bye motor. Seafoam, however, combusts, and will not cause hydrolock.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I put half of the bottle down the intake, and the other half in the gas tank. Stuff is magic.

eaiest way for me to do it on my car is useing the PVC hose. I detach it from the valve cover and with the engine running i just stick the hose inside the bottle and it will suck everything out of it by itself. No pouring needed. This way you can keep it running with your hand on the throttle body and when the can is done, ie it colapses under the vacumn. Turn off your car. Put the line back, and then wait 5 mins. I like to clean my wheels or check all my fluids at this time. Then start it, and do ALOT of WOT runs. You need to get that **** cleared out. But wow. does it make a difference.

Ill be doing it twice today!! Time to REALLY piss off the neighbors!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
attist178 said:
Hydrolock isn't possible using Seafoam. Seafoam is pure petroleum. Hydrolock is caused by water (hence "hydro") getting into the cylinders. Water makes a realllly crappy lubricant, and it doesn't like combusting. So bye-bye motor. Seafoam, however, combusts, and will not cause hydrolock.
Not true. Seafoam is non compressable. That is what causes hydrolock. You could hydrolock an engine using pure gasoline, any liquid that cannot be compressed into a space smaller than the combustion chamber.

Reference.com/Encyclopedia/Hydrolock

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
187sks said:
Not true. Seafoam is non compressable. That is what causes hydrolock. You could hydrolock an engine using pure gasoline, any liquid that cannot be compressed into a space smaller than the combustion chamber.

Reference.com/Encyclopedia/Hydrolock
Yes, but that's not technically hydrolocking. That's what I was explaining.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
attist178 said:
Yes, but that's not technically hydrolocking. That's what I was explaining.
Even though hydrolock was named for water it's also applicable when speaking about any liquid. Either way it still will destroy your engine.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hey 187SKS how about a website or something. I don't know anything about this but I have alot of carbon buildup in the intake throttle body and lots of black buildup in the exhaust. I have been a castrol man for the three years I have had my car and SEVERAL people have been lately telling me how much buildup I have in my engine thanks to Castrol. This sounds like something I need to do but I need detailed instructions and all that.

Thanks everyone.

Marc

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I don't know about a link for instructions, it's not that hard to do though and the instructions in this thread are pretty good. If you have questions or need clarification about something ask.

Or do you need a link to the product itself?
Sea Foam

Or where to buy it?
List of retailers:
Sea Foam--Buy Sea Foam products

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Here's a complete write-up on how to do a complete Seafoam engine treatment. It was written for a Pontiac Grand Prix/Buick Regal, but applying it to the Accent would be easy. Heck, even the brake booster vacuum line is in the same place. [Note--Ignore phase 3's step 2 and Fig. 1-4]

www.RegalGS.org :: View topic - Seafoam write-up

Good luck, and enjoy the phenomenal results!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seafoam is the best engine flush/cleaner on the market today i recommend it to anyone, it worked with unbelievable results, it takes a while but the results are not deniable. Thanks again guys for the advice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts