1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
way overpriced for what you can make yourself. Check out the forced induction section of the forums. Read Read Read Read. Take it all in and then figure out if spending 3-4k is worth it or building your own kit for thousands less to buy rims or coilovers.. or a lot of gas for your new turbo 93octane gas eater.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i have read the forms on some of the turbo questions.. just the only thing is the ecu with the turbo if i make one how to remap it. but thats probly done with a turbo timer to open the wastgate and close.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=11135

Please read that post. A turbo timer does not open the wastegate. So please buy that book and dont blow up your car. Take the time to read and learn.

A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to run down in speed and cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed.

This accent was my first car (besides the cadillace) and i've learned a lot over the years just from these forums alone. So right now, i would'nt suggest getting the kit until you fully understand the turbo system.

[Edited by ftwvampftw on Jan 6, 2006 4:12 PM]

·
Registered
706 Posts
have fun spining the tires with the accent tranny because thats all you will be doing. The gearing is retardly high.

but you can built you own kit for alot less.

building the turbo system is easy compared to the fuel and tuning.

[Edited by GregsterGSi on Jan 6, 2006 7:20 PM]

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Fuel and tuning isnt so bad, just install the management of your choice (ie. greddy, safc, standalone, whatever) and have a good shop dyno/tune it. I've been running for about 5 months with no engine management besides a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. I would definitely get a piggyback first if I could do it again though, would of saved alot of headaches. You could build your own system way cheaper than that turbo kit though, just read read read.... Traction will be a bit of an issue but their is ways around that....

·
Registered
706 Posts
Originally posted by omgbossis21
[body]
Fuel and tuning isnt so bad, just install the management of your choice (ie. greddy, safc, standalone, whatever) and have a good shop dyno/tune it. I've been running for about 5 months with no engine management besides a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. I would definitely get a piggyback first if I could do it again though, would of saved alot of headaches. You could build your own system way cheaper than that turbo kit though, just read read read.... Traction will be a bit of an issue but their is ways around that....
[/body]
Couldnt you have installed larger injectors?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I am/was using larger injectors (which makes for more need of real tuning). I just meant I was using the rising rate to "tune" with.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have blew up my motor before. hydrolocked it, cai kinda lost control and went into a huge puddle. didnt do any upgrades to the motor, but wasnt to hard to replace. just some time and money. good exp on the motor. kinda like a lawnmower motor..lol small pistons. i will have to pick up that book and read it. just worried a little about the electronic controls. but thanks anyways

1 - 11 of 11 Posts