Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I Know That There Are 1st & 2nd Gears On An Auto But How Do I Get It To Slam Into The Next Gear Instead Of Mush Into It?!?!:??::??:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool Thanx Man:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Or just leave it in D and go. Most transmissions will have a higher line pressure when you leave it in D as apposed to shifting it manually. This higher line pressure will make it shift faster and harder, and it won't bounce off the rev limiter like you can do when you shift it manually.

The manual downshift feeature is just there for times that you need to keep your car in a lower gear, it's not there for racing(accept for maybe for downshifting on a road course!).

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Yeah...he has a point...the automatic is alreayd programmed for BEST SHIFT.

But NEVER EVER EVER EVER DOWN SHIFT AN AUTOMATIC.

You can upshift it fine.

But down shifting it is what breaks them.

Only do it in extreme emergenices.

Also if you race and down alot of SELF shifting.

Look at changing all $100 bucks worth of ATF fluid every 20k miles.

Since self shifitng falsl under EXTREME a driving conditions in the car manual.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah right now im runnin B&M trick Shift and that seens to help soo much shifts are a hell of alot firmer its got faster converter lock up and actually a higher stall speed it was 1400rpm and now its 1600rpm i know its not much but it makes a big difference ,but the trick shift is 4.95$ a quart:ermm::puzzled:

[Edited by xlracer657 on Jul 2, 2003 8:05 PM]

·
Registered
234 Posts
I always thought the best way to shift an auto is to remove the tranny and swap in a 5-speed.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
so ur saying while we drive down the road and want to change into the next gear we should start pulling out the tranny and putting in a 5-speed :ermm:....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Heck yeah man I've done it a few times...the first few times you need someone to steer while you're out there...but after like 4-5 times I've been able to use my foot to steer while I'm out there makin the change...crusin down the highway....:lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
proably i dont see it but
can someone explain lift throttle shifting
like the way i read is that you are in neutral and just reving it and then when the lights hit green you just shift it in D
now thats bad isnt it??
can someone help me

·
Registered
176 Posts
no no no that's a neutral drop....very bad, very bad...I'd say one of the BEST ways to KILL your tranny....:dead::dead:
The lift throttle technique is(and please correct me if I'm wrong):
You launch normally in D, your tach will go run up to the redline, on mine about 6,500 rpms. Right when it shifts you quickly lift off the throttle and slam on it again. This will give you car a strong shift, you might lurch forward a little bit, and you should be in the next gear at a high RPM..when I do it I'll usually get into the next gear at about 4,500 rpms. You just repeat this through the gears....

[Edited by valusek on Aug 10, 2003 4:08 AM]

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about in the Gen III Tiburons? They have the shift-tronic and i was just wondering the best time for shifting? Prolly a dumb question but i figured i would ask it anyways

·
Registered
176 Posts
Probably right at the redline...you'd shift it like it was an manual...when it gets up to the redline hit the upswitch and go

·
Registered
225 Posts
Originally posted by valusek
[body]
no no no that's a neutral drop....very bad, very bad...I'd say one of the BEST ways to KILL your tranny....:dead::dead:
You launch normally in D, your tach will go run up to the redline, on mine about 6,500 rpms. Right when it shifts you quickly lift off the throttle and slam on it again. This will give you car a strong shift, you might lurch forward a little bit, and you should be in the next gear at a high RPM..when I do it I'll usually get into the next gear at about 4,500 rpms. You just repeat this through the gears....

[/body]
Neutral drops are bad?? , Oops! , ... I guess i should stop doing that then!, LOL
how else should we "Auto" drivers do a burnout if N-Drops are bad???

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Thats simple, either you don't or you install a high-stall torque convertor that puts all the power it can through the wheels with minimal slippage. I know it feels bad at first, but the current crop of ayto transmissions are extremely efficient, they only need slight tweaking to be even more effective.

Edit: you can also try power braking or what others call "brake boosting".

[Edited by MechaniX_034 on Sep 7, 2003 9:55 PM]

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
what are brake boosting???...please explain.:rambo:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Originally posted by x7xstring
[body]
Originally posted by valusek
[body]

[/body]
Neutral drops are bad?? , Oops! , ... I guess i should stop doing that then!, LOL
how else should we "Auto" drivers do a burnout if N-Drops are bad???

[/body]
use emergency brake!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
"power braking" or "boost braking" is about 2 seconds before you want to go, you step on the brake and hold it then step on the gas. wait till you get to about 3kRPM then let brake go and kEEP foot on gas. you get a lil better launch

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT DO NEUTRAL DROPS! You WILL blow your transmission VERY QUICKLY! Hyundai automatics might as well be plastic (if they arent already) trust me...$2k later, and 6 months with no car back 2 years ago..i'm on second tranny :D

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Is lift throttle shifting bad for your car in any way?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts