Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Blacktibs, when braking for a light or for whatever reason, just leave the trans alone, it will take care of itself, that's why it's called an automatic. :chinese:

ftwvampftw, lift throttle shifting does make your auto shift faster and firmer. It doesn't harm the car any worse than revving it out to the redline where lift throttle shifting is used.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm sorry Blacktibs, I guess I misunderstood your question, I do know that manually shifting down into 2nd is bad for your trans, however shutting off OD is fine, in fact if your driving around town you could just leave it off. Honda automatics have had for years D3 and D4, D3 for in town, D4 for higher speeds. Are you looking for the exact mechanical events that occur within your automatic when you manually select gears? Then you will have to get someone else to tell you.

[Edited by Stephen_Gsi on Oct 1, 2003 6:40 AM]

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
No thats good stuff. I use the overdrive button to slow me down extra, down shifting to second is bad, but it works if you absolutely have to stop FAST. Even still, its not something you want to do unless you want to go through trannies. I've just worried about the O/D thing a bit. So I guess its safe then. Thanks man.

[Edited by Blacktibs on Oct 2, 2003 1:47 AM]

·
Registered
106 Posts
ok.. so do I want to drive with the OD on or OD off? or does it even make a difference.. and what is it for? my dads all "for bad weather" which on or off, it makes no difference, I slide and what not anyways

·
Registered
176 Posts
it's up to you...think of OD as your 4th gear...cause thats all it really is. If you have the OD off it won't shift into your last gear, and with the other gears it will make it go to a higher rpm before it shifts. If you're going uphill it's best to have the OD off so your car isn't always shifting up then down then up then down. But other than that...if you're just driving then leave the OD on

·
Registered
502 Posts
xxnoangel13xx said:
ok.. so do I want to drive with the OD on or OD off? or does it even make a difference.. and what is it for? my dads all "for bad weather" which on or off, it makes no difference, I slide and what not anyways
OD is to keep the car at a lower RPM so you don't burn up as much gas.
some people say "keep on the OD to save gas" but all the shifting will really ware your transmission. best time to use it is if your taking long rides with as less braking as possible (the freeway).
all tho if your going for max speed OD kinda helps too. when your on your lasst gear about to max hit in OD and that will give some extra RPM.
OD does not make your car slower, but due to the lower RPM your acceleration will be slower.

·
Registered
241 Posts
MetalShark said:
OD is to keep the car at a lower RPM so you don't burn up as much gas.
some people say "keep on the OD to save gas" but all the shifting will really ware your transmission. best time to use it is if your taking long rides with as less braking as possible (the freeway).
all tho if your going for max speed OD kinda helps too. when your on your lasst gear about to max hit in OD and that will give some extra RPM.
OD does not make your car slower, but due to the lower RPM your acceleration will be slower.
GREAT SCOTT!!! Marty, did you leave the time machine on in the Delorean??

The original question was asked over 4 years ago!!

And to correct your answer, I must first discuss what overdrive really means.
Overdrive is nothing more that a gear ratio less than 1:1. For example: 1st gear might be 3:1 (3 engine revolutions for every 1 rotation of the trans output). Second gear might be 2:1 (2 engine revolutions for every 1 rotation of the trans output). Third might be 1:1 (1 engine revolution for every 1 rotation of the trans output).

But 4th gear (overdrive) might be 0.7:1 (.7 engine revolutions for every 1 rotation of the trans output). In this case, the trans output is spinning faster than the engine. In other words, it's being "overdriven".

Some manual transmissions have 2 overdrive gears (usually 5th and 6th gears).

Now, the OD ON/OFF button just means that it will or will not use the overdrive gear ratio. With OD ON, your have a 4 speed transmission with the overdriven gear ratio being used. With OD OFF you basically tell the transmission not to use the overdriven rear ratio so you now only have a 3 speed trans and it won't shift above 3rd gear.

The only reason I would turn the OD off is if you find the car struggling up a hill in 4th gear and constantly shifting between 3rd and 4th. What you do is turn it off and it will stay in 3rd gear allowing the engine to rev higher where it makes more power. You are basically downshifting to a lower gear ratio. Otherwise, always leave OD on.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts