Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first of all I did search the forums before I made this post, it didn't help me though in this case.

As I read on numerous pages a Short Ram Intake (SRI) should work better then the Cold Air Intake (CAI). So I had a look at some brands and pictures of installed ones. Then I looked at my car and noticed something is different.

So first of all I drive this: A Hyundai Accent 1.5l DHOC, 3 door, Rally/Sport (registration says rally, sticker on the car says sport).

Now when you have a look at my engine bay there is an extra box kind of thing just where I am suppose to connect a sri. I hope these pictures make this more clear.

Does anyone know if this has anything to do with my airconditioning and if it doesn't WTF is it doing there? Can I still install an SRI? If so please replay with recommandations on good experiances or just good brands to buy.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That box is just an empty box. i think it either muffles the sound of the intake, or is used to make the airflow through the stock system more efficient. my car had this also. take it off.

also, remove all stock intake tube. because it has those ridges in it, it isn't smooth on the inside which means you'll have a lot of air catching in those ripples. so use a smooth tube and then put an air filter on that. but you answer your question, that is just a hallow, plastic box.

·
Registered
502 Posts
yeah I spent plenty of time Ripping crap out of cars to know what thats for, and yeah all it does is make the intake quiet. I had the same exact thing except my accent is a 1.6L

stock intake is quiet, When I put in the short ram it now makes a sucking sound, so just get ready for that sound.
:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts