Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Just a quick note I bought Silvania Silverstar ultra bulbs for about 50$ at Walmart last year. I live in the country-ish so i need good lighting.

I was quite disapointed when my light went out last week only after about 7-8 months. I contacted the Silvania support line and they replied really quickly good explanation of how the bulbs are higher color temperature and 20% brighter so therefore they don't last as long. blah blah but in the end he was like what's the make and model of your vehicle i'll send you a replacement. Good to know they back up the warranty of their bulbs.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I had the same problem with mine except they told me that they expect the bulbs to last longer than mine did so it was a problem with my vehicle's electrical system. They said they would send me a replacement if i sent them the old bulb. I didn't really want to bother so I just bought a new one. Glad to hear they helped you out though. I like their lights a lot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Low life is a known problem with North American Sylvania Silverstars. If you can get the OSRAM Silverstar, it's the European version of the bulb that puts out the same amount of light and lasts longer.

Or Philips X-Treme Power, or those fancy HIR bulbs that Toshiba makes. Both make the Silverstars look dim.

·
Registered
520 Posts
PIAA bulbs are indeed the best.

However, I've had eurolite bulbs on the front for just under two years now, very happy with their output too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been drving with just one headlight and fog lights for about a week. Since i'm getting the replacement silverstart ultra bulbs at the end of the week. I'm driving home at 3am yesterday from work. What do you know it a cop pulls me over. I'm thinking no big deal he'll slap me a warning. Turns out my plates are expired by 3 days. So he gives me a ticket for expired plates a warning for my headlight and another warning for not having the backside to my ownership or whatnot? still don't understand that. After a 9 hour work day all that money goes to my 110$ ticket yay.!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Shitty about the ticket. Gotta pay attention to the registration. I had regular silverstars in my old Hyundai for about 2 years, and then I even swapped them into my Integra where they lasted about 5 months, and then one of them went out. I picked up some of the Ultras off ebay (couldn't justify $50 for bulbs) and I put one in while the regular silverstar was in the other headlight yet. Not that much of a difference between the two - and I'm glad I didn't buy them for full retail price. I will be purchasing the regular Silverstars after xmas though since I loved them and got a couple years out of them.

I'm not a fan of using "hi output" bulbs that draw 100w instead of the normal 55w since I don't like the smell of melted wire. However, there are some guys out there that'll rig up relays and run separate higher-gauge wire for those hi-draw bulbs. Then your only issue is the greater heat and hoping your plastic bulb housing can take it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
ok anyway here is the pictures of my car at night. ive changed to polarg lights since then. the ones in the picture are nokya 120/130, and the polargs are 125/135

·
Registered
860 Posts
I really like Sylvanias products! I work at an electrical wholesaler that sells sylvania products...unfortunately they dont sell headlamps for vehicles or else i would buy them thru work cuz i only have to pay cost plus 10% but shortly after i moved into my apartment (bout 7 months ago) two of the lights in my kitchen burned out...i bought replacements thru work and i havent had a problem since! I really wish they sold the headlamps though!! LOL!! I would so buy them here!!:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
just a thought but did you accidently touch the bulb? I touched mine and I figured it was fine and 8 months later it was burnt out. Just wondering.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I know not to touch the bulb and am very careful not too. Good point though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts