Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess its about time I asked whats wrong with my accent.

1st-the check engine light is on...for about 3 years now, Ive plugged it up to the computer and it just says replace plugs and wires..already done that.

2nd-when the car idles, the WHOLE CAR SHAKES, like a hot rod, my passenger seat wobbles back and fourth, my intake flops around like a wet noodle.

3rd-it occasionally backfires

4th-when its cold-smokes at start(just a very little), sometimes it sounds really bad, like its gonna die.

high and low knocking, valve clack?
160,000 miles
1997 1.5 DOHC

other than that it runs great. no loss in power, it does have transmition problems but not major.

I love it to death, and have done alot of body work.

any thoughts are appreciated, im even considering a rebuild.
please I dont want a beta swap.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
What actual code(s) did you have?

Check your engine to chassis and chassis to battery grounds. Make sure they're good and tight and not rusted out or anything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
the shaking at idle is cause your engine mounts are most likely rooted
replace them with polyurethane mounts - it will be a bit harsh at idle, but wont rock at all under acceleration

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was never told the code, I just remember buying the plugs and wires, right after they plugged it up(this was advance auto btw) and starting it up and it acted like it was gonna die, I diddnt think I would make it home to get the plugs in! But I let it idle for about an hour and it went back to normal, and the check engine light came back on.

Ill check the ground wires tomorrow, Ive considered getting a ground wire kit, or making my own, would that help?

I at first thought it was the motor mounts too, but I have checked them and thats not it.

*oh and my check engine light blinks at me sometimes, yea its pretty scary.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
A blinking CEL, along with your other systems, mean the engine is misfiring, either randomly or in a single cylinder. You've already replaced the plugs/wires, try replacing the coil pack next. Its really really simple to replace, takes maybe 30 mins to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I gave my Accent to my sister 4 years ago, I did a tune up on it. I went through 4 sets of Autozone wires before going back to the dealer and getting a set. All 4 sets from Autozone made the car run like crap. I would look at that first.

What plugs did you use?

Dean

·
Registered
332 Posts
or let the vehicle warm up and look underneath if the cat converter is glowing you have a plugged cat which could cause an engine shuddder and a misfire

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
It is worth buying another set of plug wires. I had similar problems on a cheap set of plug wires. It appears that the Accents like having decent sized well insulated wires.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, my wires are the duralast from autozone, does anyone know where I could get a set of performance wires? autozone says they dont carry them.

It could be a year before I receve anything from sfr, not to mention the hefty price?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yea and the pluggs are vheap, its just what they gave me. but when I swapped them the old ones diddnt look bad eaither.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts