Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i did the slave cylinder mod thats on here cause i needed to bleed the clutch line in attempt to stop the grinding. which it did. i was quite surprised i also put valvoline in the tranny after royal purple which made it worse. but now my car pops out of fifth gear more often then not mainly when the roads are chattery or bigger bumps. ive heard numerous things such as bushings in the shifter, synchros, shift linkage, and crazy fixes with bungee chords. but my question is, is what do you think it is? and did it have anything to do with the spring that came out to shorten the clutch pedal catch point?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
That spring shouldn't have any effect on your tranny popping out of gear.

You can try Redline MT-90 it's the best performing choice for our Hyundais. I doubt that'll help with the tranny popping out of gear but you'll have the best fluid available in the tranny then.

Aside from that you can get under the hood and put the car in 5th and see if it appears to pull it all the way into gear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to me it sounds like a worn syncro does it grind at all going into fith or just goes into fith and pop out?
goes into fifth and pop out. i looked up WC engineering, and they say that thats not a syncros problem, that the syncros dont keep it in gear, the shift linkage does. and i dont want to go to the shop for it, but i jsut might have to, the gas prices for fourth gear are killin me

·
Registered
737 Posts
sounds like your tranny is on the way out

when it starts popping out of gear you have internal damage of some sort

if it is grinding into gear all the time you most likely have some sort of syncro problem

i've been using the redline in my trans for a while now and its worked wonders but if you have damage it won't matter what gear oil you use

the slave cylinder mod shouldn't have any effect except if the clutch isn't being fully disengaged which could cause your grind going into gear as well

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow I actually have the same problem with my 5th gear, When I drive on the free way I have to use 4th because everytime i stick my gear into 5th, it pops back to neutral and it starts to grind really bad until i let go of the gas and put my foot back on the clutch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow I actually have the same problem with my 5th gear, When I drive on the free way I have to use 4th because everytime i stick my gear into 5th, it pops back to neutral and it starts to grind really bad until i let go of the gas and put my foot back on the clutch.
you dont have to use fourth. what ive been doing is coasting about 65 barely any gas, holding it in. and letting off the gas every once in a while cause it kind of "restarts" it in the original position. 4th gear is just to much gas with the gas prices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That spring shouldn't have any effect on your tranny popping out of gear.

You can try Redline MT-90 it's the best performing choice for our Hyundais. I doubt that'll help with the tranny popping out of gear but you'll have the best fluid available in the tranny then.

Aside from that you can get under the hood and put the car in 5th and see if it appears to pull it all the way into gear.

do you know what auto warehouse i can buy the Redline mt-90 clutch fluid from? or do u get it online?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty easy. I think there's a DIY for it somewhere. If not I'll have to do one when I change mine next.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Basically you find the giant drain plug on the tranny (big like a 15/16ths or something) and remove it to start the fluid draining.

Then find the fill plug which is on the front of the transmission housing and open it. It's the plug which faces the front of the car and sits horizontally about halfway up the transmission body and about halfway back on the tranny. It's the only bolt head that matches that description but there are other bolts in the area that confuse some people.

After the old gear lube has completely drained out replace the drain plug and fill the tranny through the fill hole until the MT-90 starts running back out. That should be at about 3.25 quarts if I remember right.

Replace fill plug and enjoy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Basically you find the giant drain plug on the tranny (big like a 15/16ths or something) and remove it to start the fluid draining.

Then find the fill plug which is on the front of the transmission housing and open it. It's the plug which faces the front of the car and sits horizontally about halfway up the transmission body and about halfway back on the tranny. It's the only bolt head that matches that description but there are other bolts in the area that confuse some people.

After the old gear lube has completely drained out replace the drain plug and fill the tranny through the fill hole until the MT-90 starts running back out. That should be at about 3.25 quarts if I remember right.

see i wasnt able to put three and a quarter quarts in there, all my fluid didnt drain out all at once, i did to fluid changes within 2 days cause of a problem. but i think you need compressed air to blow it all out. but maybe theres not enough in mine, could that be a reason why its popping out? i dont think that could cause it. but is it a possibility?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
If it's low on fluid it can make it pop out of gear for sure. The fluid should all drain out with no problem. Compressed air should not be necessary at all. You're talking about a manual transmission right?

I need to look up the gearbox oil capacity. The 3.25 quarts number was just what I was thinking it is but that might be wrong. Either way you should fill it until you can feel it inside the fill plug hole or when it runs back out the fill hole.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it's low on fluid it can make it pop out of gear for sure. The fluid should all drain out with no problem. Compressed air should not be necessary at all. You're talking about a manual transmission right?

I need to look up the gearbox oil capacity. The 3.25 quarts number was just what I was thinking it is but that might be wrong. Either way you should fill it until you can feel it inside the fill plug hole or when it runs back out the fill hole.
well hey, that could be good news. maybe thats why the gear is poppin out. ill throw some more in the and just let it drain into it until it stops in the funnel. but now, my car will go, at wot, and pull back some. then go again. any in site on this anyone?

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thank you for your wise words, will give that a try.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Heh that was a good description. I know exactly where you mean. I was to chicken to try it before i'll go ahead and to it this weekend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

the fill plug is a 17 mm. socket wrench. closed ended wrenchs work the best though. wrap it with a towel and your hand too, the frame is right there, and it hurts if you hit it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts