Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ive been noticing my battery getting sluggish over the past few weeks until it went completly flat. Recharged it and got the same thing.

Alternator, right?

Checked it - 14.4 volts over the battery while engine running, so its charging while on. So i left it sit in the garage for a few days and measured the battery charge

Day 1 - 12.25
Day 2 - 11
Day 3 - 9
Day 4 - 4v

So something is sucking the battery while the car is off.

I pulled all internal fuses on day 3 and as you can see the charge kept dropping so it cant be an internal light etc. Pulled alarm fuse also and it still dropped to 4v the next day.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what could be the problem, as in a faulty component in the engine?

I have a feeling im going to have to start pulling fuses in the engine fusebox now :(

its a 97 Coupe SFX

·
Registered
737 Posts
if it doesn't hold a charge anymore you might just need a new battery.

that would be the easiest thing to do first unless the battery isn't that old.

also when you checked alternator for charging did you put a load on the engine? check to see if your voltage drops when you have all your accessories on(high beams, wipers, radio, a/c, hazard lights). If the volts drop below 13 then you still might have a charging problem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you have a farad cap for a high powered stereo, it could be that also.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gents,

Thanks for the reply.

I replaced the battery at the start of this process as part of my fault checking
Sound system and amp is completely disconnected as part of my fault checking

·
Registered
71 Posts
hello mate ive got 2x exide deep cycle maxxima batteries in my car and ive been having the same problem as you since i got it back from a garage that had it for 10 weeks due to it getting broken into while in their pocession so they had to sort it out but i for love or money are stuck just like you and just cant figure it out. i would buy new batteries but the problem ive got with that is they cost a fortune ie £260 each. so trying to get them working again if i can as the batteries are not that old and never had this problem b4 the car went in but getting it now ive got it back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is possible to get a bd battery from the parts store, I had a new Diehard that did this exact same thing. I would try another battery if possible

1 - 6 of 6 Posts