Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the aftermath.. doesn't look that bad, but it is. I'll explain after the pictures.

I don't even want to go into the full story. Quick version: A girl stopped on a 1-lane road to let me exit a parking lot, and some impatient bitch in a Lincoln Contitental decided to pass her half-way in her lane and half-way in the on-coming traffic lane and nailed me pretty good. Police said there isn't anyway to determine who's at fault, so they are letting the insurance companies decide... what a joke.

Mechanically.. the transmission, axle, and front driver's side wheel assembly is done. Both airbags deployed, and the passenger side airbag cracked the windsheild. My car is unofficially totaled at this point.

Me, physically.. I've got cuts from the damn steering wheel, and some burns from the air bag on my arm. My head hurts still, considering the airbag slammed into my temple. I'm also a bit bruised from the seat belt. Mentally... I'm distressed. My car, which I haven't even owned a year, is totaled. I'm not done paying my loan yet. If, for some ungodly reason, the insurance companies decide I'm paying this through my own insurance, my insurance is going to go through the roof.

What a way to end a week. R.I.P.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
was the guy in the Lincoln legally able to pass? If the girl stopped in the lane, with no signal on and there was traffic coming the other way.. he should have stopped.. determined it was safe to continue, and then made the pass.. how the cops could not decide this is beyond me.

Anyway, if your arm is still burning from the airbag.. get some burn gel for it.. that is both an abrasion and chemicals from the bag tend to irritate it. Just remember, it could have been a LOT worse..

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
GODDAMN! Here's what you do, first SUE and make sure your insurance company gets the most they possibly can out of the other person. Then if it's totaled, opt to keep the car and part it out. There's alot that you can sell. If you want, I'll take that Korean license plate off your hands ;):;):;): Then buy yourself either a new elantra, or another car of your choice.

At least though you are ok. Good thing he wasnt going fast to really hurt you.

My car's totalled too :D so I know how you feel. Ive been there too many times.

also you shouldnt have to pay it with your own insurance. If you do, they will take your deductible off...but this is what they did with me, and my insurance didnt really go up at all. In fact it just went down a couple months ago.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Originally posted by Mad-Machine
[body]
how the cops could not decide this is beyond me.
[/body]
Well, I hate to say this, but in my opinion, police do tend to overlook details when they see a more satisfactory explinatino, that is... he's a young kid (no offense, I am one myself).

I'm sorry to hear about you elantra. I hope you and everyone else involved are ok. I've had friends walk away from accidents only to find out months later that they had fractured vertebra. If ANYTHING HURTS, go see a doctor. If I remeber right, you've had quite the year with cops and lawyers (over some keying incident) I hate to say it, but it might be time to talk with a lawyer ASAP. Not because of medical/sueing BS, but for liability of the accident, if the police didn't cite the accident right then and there, it doesn't mean that you both are at even points right now. You being the younger driver are more liable, so don't waste any time on making sure that you don't end up responsible for this, if you truly aren't. The best chance you have is getting your Elantra paid off by insurance money, chances are, you may not have much towards a new vehicle. Good luck, there are plenty of Hyundais for sale in the forum :D

P.S. Take it from somebody that has driven a Firebird right thru a tree, and an Excel into a GMC 2500 HD and a Lincon. This isn't going to be the end of the world ;):

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Man, that sucks! Glad to hear you're ok though!

Hey, if you part it out or whatever, that's a Beta right? How much would you want for it? (also, would it fit up to my manual tranny LC2?) :D

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Welcome to the club. I feel your loss as I too have recently lost my car (mine looks WAAAAAY worse tho.)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I agree with the others, go see both a doctor and a lawyer asap.
Originally posted by 03-Accent-03
[body]
Hey, if you part it out or whatever, that's a Beta right? How much would you want for it? (also, would it fit up to my manual tranny LC2?) :D
[/body]
If I'm not mistaken, you have to put in an engine at least as new as your car to be emissions-legal. His is a 2000 and yours is a 2003, so no dice.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Actually you can.. According to CARB (who's rules are more strict than federal) you can put whatever year engine in whatever year car... but the newer of the two is what determines the emissions. If I put a 72 350 in a 96 carmaro... that engine would have to conform to 1996 standards.. just like if I dropped a 96 LS1 into a 68 camaro.. the camaro would have to conform to emissions standards of 1996

1 - 8 of 8 Posts