Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to work, and the thing just like died... the RPM's dropped real low and it just died - almost like I stalled it - but its auto:confused:

... any ideas what happened to her?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Possibly alternator...go get that and the battery checked first than go off of that info! Has it started up again or just nothing at all? Mine did something similar when the alternator went and as well when the alternator fuse wasn't getting a good connection!!:D Good luck!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope not the alternator - we did all of the amperage tests and such - still no idea what it is. its also making like a howling noise? i have no idea what it could be. i have had to keep the rpms at like 1200+ to keep it from dying on me at a stop...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
will it rev in nuetral?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yupp... revs in netural - i have NOOOO idea what the ell to think.....
please help!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
drtygurl said:
i have had to keep the rpms at like 1200+ to keep it from dying on me at a stop...
that's exactly what happens when you're missing the second resonator, because it's mismeasuring how much air is going in. And even that only works for a few seconds.

Besides, it's a quick, easy thing to check: Is it in place? That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
busy_squirrel said:
that's exactly what happens when you're missing the second resonator, because it's mismeasuring how much air is going in. And even that only works for a few seconds.

Besides, it's a quick, easy thing to check: Is it in place? That's all there is to it.
car hasn't ran right since i got the motor fixed. i think its misfiring too... it sounds like its only running on 3 cylinders some times =|

i'll have to check it tomorrow in the morning, when i can see lol... i have a ballsirific flashlight

thanks guys ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
check your vacuum lines also, that would explain the bad idle and the loss of power and the whistling sound.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
busy_squirrel said:

are you talkin about the intake resonator or the exhaust resonator?

i don't see why either one would be causting trouble unless this is a maf based car and the hole is now between the maf and tb.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ryanolson said:
very possible that your idler motor is shot. its actually called the idle speed actuator. when i did my swap i had bad connections on it and the car would nearly die when idling.

do you have a check engine light on or anything?
Reading through that's exactly what happened to the taurus, if I came to a red light I would have to pop it in neutral first and keep reving it or it would stall. Got the speed actuator fixed no problems.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
..man all this hyundai stuff is so confusing to me. give me a mk1 vw rabbit or jetta, and i can figure it out no problem...

it did it again to me today on my way to work - i am sooo confused... how do i check if the speed actuator is broken? i've never even heard of that =|

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
ryanolson said:
are you talkin about the intake resonator or the exhaust resonator?

i don't see why either one would be causting trouble unless this is a maf based car and the hole is now between the maf and tb.
LCs have two intake resonators. One before the airbox/air-filter and then another one after the air meter before the TB. It hangs down from the air hosing, and isn't that big. I have pics at home, but I can't get to them right now to post them.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
thats why its important to know whether she has a 1.6 or 1.5. if its a 1.6 thats not the problem because they have map sensors.

the idle speed actuator is the sensor lookin thing that goes into your throttle body.

Check ISCA
(1) Measure resistance between terminal 2 and 3 of sensor connector(To sensor side)
a. Specification : 20°C(68°F) : 14.9 ~ 16.1Ω

(2) Is measure resistance within Specification?
YES
a. Substitute with a known-good PCM and check for proper operation. If the problem is corrected, replace PCM and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.
NO
a. Substitute with a known-good ISCA and check for proper operation. If the problem is corrected, replace ISCA and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have you check your MAF? the problems your describing are somewhat similar to an issue I had last winter, i replaced a whole lotta stuff and nothing fixed the issue. then finally i checked my original thought which was the MAF and it was shot to put it kindly.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Gabe has the right answer...

She has the 1.5, and the key word was 'howling noise' like if your intake was open to the atmosphere....

Feel your intake pip on the underside when the car is running, you will feel the open hole and the air rushing in. The facorty clamps are not very tight and the box will either fall completely off or just loosen itself.

·
Registered
453 Posts
if you did have an intake leak that large you'd be running incredibly lean and it would destroy your engine, a vaccuum leak would as well.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
That pic will work.

On the 1.5, the 1st resonator is blue, than the airbox w/ filter inside, then comes the air sensor (which I colored green), then the 2nd resonator that I've colored red.

It's not held very firmly by the hose clamp (on top of the 2nd resonator, below the incoming/filtered/metered air) and is just sitting in the hook on the side of the air filter box. A small bounce in the wrong direction and it'll pop outta the hook. Another bounce can send it falling.

This may not be her problem but it's an extremely easy troubleshooting step, and an easy fix.

Yes, with it missing, you will run lean, but it's hard to tell how much since you're bypassing the meter.

And no, it won't destroy your engine but it'll make your car stutter, rev, pop, and stall. Mine has done it several times when the damn thing falls off while offroading.:D

wilburisthecoolest said:
the key word was 'howling noise' like if your intake was open to the atmosphere.....
So you CAN hear my car afterall. I always figured it was drowned out by your banshee of an exhaust...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts