Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad was thinking about getting oen of those mini gyms "all in one" gym. where you can do like 60 excersices in one machines. But he changed his mind and I told him i wanted to buy it with my own money ,b ut he doesn't even want one in the house.

So too make my dream come true, i guess my only option is to buy barbells. Is there a webpage out there that tells you alot of dumbells excercises.. i checked already and alot of them you have to buy some book and crap.

thanks

[Edited by Korean_Redneck on Oct 26, 2005 6:30 PM]

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1924089

These will probably come with a complete guide to using them. Otherwise you'll probably need to buy a book.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just a side note. Some magazines like Men's Health have info on certain exercises to do for bulking up or toning as well as alot of useful info about getting/keeing healthy. Hope that helps a bit :lol:
Cheers. Anand :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
yeah alot of local mag on fitness have many advertisements of stores in your area...just go pick one up....and if any things just call Chuk Norris, maybe he can help with the whole "total gym" thing...lol

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
ebays got the 5-52.5 lb select tech sets for a hundred or so less than any online retail place ive found (even dicks, sorry doc ;): )

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I always like a good deal, no problem with suggesting Ebay for those bowflex weights.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Only thing with ebay for dumbells is postage cos they are heavy... :( I always keep an eye out for a second hand set at garage sales or flea markets. Unless you want new ones, in which case disregard this post :lol:

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Originally posted by Korean_Redneck
[body]
<b>but he doesn't even want one in the house. </b>
[/body]
Put it in the backyard or garage :evil:

Yeah, like turboxl said, check out garage sales, they're a great place to find stuff like that :)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by 187sks
[body]
Wal-Mart has dumbbells for $0.50/lb. I picked up several sizes and do a few workouts at home with them.
[/body]
what kind of dumbell excercises do you do?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Pretty simple stuff because I also have a gym membership. I do curls, hammer curls, overhead triceps extensions, bench press, barbell military press, shoulder shrugs, lawnmower pulls (I don't know the official name), lateral raises, and front raises mostly. I have a few extra non-standard exercises I do also that I just like to do that have no names.

If you don't know what any of the above are I'll explain them as best as I can.

A few of these you don't need any more than a set of 10 pound dumbbells to start off with, like the front and lateral raises, and possibly the triceps extension. The strongest lifts will be the benchpress and lawnmower pulls. Probably in the neighborhood of a 35-50 pound set would be a good place to start for them. I buy weights as I go, I didn't buy a bunch at the same time. I mostly use the dumbbells for light weight/high repetition lifting, and go to the gym for heavy weight/low repetition lifts.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang man.. Maybe you guys can help me out again. I've been doing Pushups everyday for 2 years So i can get a bigger chest. My chest got bigger.. but my..... nipples are sagging!!!! I thought Pushups were all chest.. is there a lower chest workout? Im going to look like Jhoon Rhee.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Decline press. Men's nipples are often at the bottom edge of the pec's though so all you may do is accentuate your nipples pointing to the floor effect.

You can also do pushups with your feet on the floor and your hands up on a box or a step or something to get a similar effect. You will have to do more to get results though because it's not as hard to do pushups from that angle.

See, my npples point down too:

Okay, so that's not me. But you see what I mean? It's pretty normal for your nipple to point down somewhat due to their positioning over the pec's.

·
Registered
538 Posts
With push ups, and all excercises that you use both hands together be careful cos your stonger arm will compensate for your weaker arm and you will therefore be encourageing a bias towards one side. Wat i do, whereever possible is use 2 single dumbels. For the chest (and triceps) i find that using the bench with 2 single weights works well. Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers, Anand. :)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
someone is selling a total gym by my dads house for $150

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hey dude if space is an issue i would consider these

http://www.powerblock.com/index.html

im a gym rat and ive talked to a lot of guys about at home sets and a lot have these and say they are awsome.

however, nothing can compete with going to a gym and being motivated by those around you (but some people can get intimidated so i guess it goes both ways).

However, everyones' bodies respond differently to different things. A crap load of pushups may work for some people whereas for another it may not do a thing. The trick is sticking with a program long enough to see how your body responds to it (this will take over a month of committing to the program) and then tweaking certain aspects of it to see if anything changes. I ve been working out religiously since I was 13 and im 24 now and still am making changes here and there to see how my body responds to it...sometimes it does for the better but sometimes not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts