Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone,

I'm new to this forum because I just gotta smokin deal on 1999 Tibby. It's bone stock and has the 2.0 DOHC motor in it.

So here's my question; What kind of performance is this powerplant capable of with NA modifications?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a tendancy of going overboard with dumping money into cars. So I just want to know if it's worth it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are guys with turbos that make a lot of power. We can't get much NA, just a few MPG's. If you're looking for power, you're best saving about $2-3k for a turbo kit.

Save some money for some handling goodies to harness the power. A lot of people trick out the car's handling, then turn to power.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Turbo will always make more power than N/A and probably be cheaper to, i have seen N/A tibs push anywhere between 100kw to 114kw. I have seen a Sonota with 50 sideraughs pushing 140kw. but that is far from street legal and there is no feul consumption....

Has the New 2l hyundai motors have Cvvti?

For me the biggest turn off to a tib is that a 1600Ek vtec will kick your butt ask me i know i had a 2000 tib....

·
Registered
845 Posts
IMO its a waste of money to try and push the beta N/a.. boosted? thats another story.
Agreed.

Probably around 160whp n/a, unless your willing to spend alot on like a standalone management and a stroker kit and custom high comp pistons, then I could see 200+whp na.

But sadly for all the money you would have spent the car would never pull like one with say 12 psi. The boosted one would have a killer mid range also!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RTPScoupe said:
Agreed.

Probably around 160whp n/a, unless your willing to spend alot on like a standalone management and a stroker kit and custom high comp pistons, then I could see 200+whp na.

But sadly for all the money you would have spent the car would never pull like one with say 12 psi. The boosted one would have a killer mid range also!
Well, it sounds like a juice snail is the way to go and I love the way forced induction feels. How much do you think 12 to 14 psi will cost me?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Depends how many corners you cut. New or used parts. etc.
Between 2000-4000$

·
Registered
163 Posts
Its a great motor for boost. With a proper turbo setup and good dyno tune, you can run 13-15psi on stock internals.

Being its the 4g63's cousin, options are endless.

As far as N/a, Its simple, cheap, decent powerband. I would get a port/polished intake manifold, p/p head, Bigger throttle body, some aggressive cams... and 4-1 header... im sure you could at least be hitting 150whp.. not to mention a mean sound

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
i always thought that a supercharged beta would be a best choice,

like n/a..the power is always there when you floor the accelerator

turbo is a more enticing choice since' it has a more weld you into your seat power and the sweet sounce of the BOV but it's power is like a on and off switch..it's power is something that wouldn't be useful in auto cross's or driving the s curve's around a driving.

exiting curves from a corner can be a bit of a hassle with the lag of a turbo..

·
Registered
163 Posts
For everyday driving, a supercharger would be my choice. But the 2.7L was ment for a supercharger. the 2.0L is a turbo motor all out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The basic I/H/E mods you'd do would work really well with a supercharger, also. You'd have to sell those and do a lot more custom work to use a turbo, as many people on here have demonstrated.

I thought you could get a smaller turbo that starts being usable at lower RPM. Not as much power, but more usable power.

Only thing I don't like about an S/C is the fact that it needs engine power to run it instead of scavenging from the exhaust. Less efficient that way. And our Betas don't have that many horses to spare.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
I'm more into useable power that can definitely be felt and be useable daily...

unlike horsepower junkie's who're all about peak number 's and expect the car to handle it daily when it isn't designed to.

i love the whine better than the BOV..

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Dude, 10 psi out of the smallest turbo you can get that will push ten and that car can have upwards of 260 whp. No ****. Its not about psi, its about tuning. ****, our cars have enough fuel STOCK that 4-6 psi will work fine UNTUNED. and thats about 170 whp. Much nicer than the 115ish whp that is stock.

Im going to turbo my car for the sum of $17.34. The cost of my BRAND NEW tdo4h turbo. No tuning, and 5 psi wastegate spring. BWAHAHHAHA!

That will eat a b16 vetc. Probally keep with a b20. K series? Eh.. now that i need more boost.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I ever go turbo, I'd rig it so the turbo leaned out the mix at highway speeds, hopefully netting better economy over long trips. And hopefully a tune that would work with 87 octane lol.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
wilburisthecoolest said:
Dude, 10 psi out of the smallest turbo you can get that will push ten and that car can have upwards of 260 whp. No ****. Its not about psi, its about tuning. ****, our cars have enough fuel STOCK that 4-6 psi will work fine UNTUNED. and thats about 170 whp. Much nicer than the 115ish whp that is stock.

Im going to turbo my car for the sum of $17.34. The cost of my BRAND NEW tdo4h turbo. No tuning, and 5 psi wastegate spring. BWAHAHHAHA!

That will eat a b16 vetc. Probally keep with a b20. K series? Eh.. now that i need more boost.
I agree, with the right setup a turbo can come to life almost as fast as the s/c does. You are going to loose 20% of the power created just to spin that egg beater and isn't as good in terms of thermal efficiency. If you get a big freaking turbo of course it’s going to take a second to get the power out of it. Also alot of the "lag" you see with turbocharged cars is the drop in compression/spark timing. Do what wil said... add a smallish turbo if you don’t want BIG power, keep stock compression, stock timing, and get your air/fuel right.

I don't know about trusting a 100% stock fuel system with anything over 3psi, but hey. Good luck. Newer Hyundai’s don't run as pig rich and below 4k rpm they run lean. Yours might be a little different.

How can the turbo not be the best way to increase power? Its using wasted thermal energy to pump more air into a glorified air pump. :D

If I ever go turbo, I'd rig it so the turbo leaned out the mix at highway speeds, hopefully netting better economy over long trips. And hopefully a tune that would work with 87 octane lol.
Run small injectors with a RRFPR, just make sure the fuel pump can handle volume at the really high pressure you will need once you are under positive pressure in the IM. ;) 87 octane on boost.... ehhhh you would need to pull spark back to the point your gas mileage would drop from that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't Beta I's run rich at all points on the stock ECU's fuel map? And have return lines waiting for a better regulator once they boost?

Wytch, your point about scavenging otherwise wasted thermal energy is one wholeheartedly agreed with. And some guy posted about using AEM's latest and greatest to get giant injectors to behave like stock ones when off boost/very little boost. Mighty promising from what was posted...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts