Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm changing the Accent's system from 2 10's in a bandpass box to 1 15" S15L5. I just can't decide on what kind of box to make/buy. Space is a bit of a premium, and I want to keep the weight down, but of course I want it to play loud and sound good. With an emphasis on loud, honestly.

I have no experience with these subwoofers personally so I do not know what they like or respond well to. I need a little help choosing what direction to go with this.

Factory recommendation for a sealed enclosure is between 1.5 cu ft and 6.0 cu ft. Pretty large range to choose from.

There are 3 designs they recommend for rectangular ported boxes. Compact - 3.0 cu ft, Street Bass - 4.5 cu ft, SPL/Deep Bass - 6.0 cu ft.

This will be in the hatch of my Accent, and my current box is about 6.0 cu ft total. I want a smaller box than that if it will sound good. If a 6.0 cu ft box will sound that much better than a 4.5 cu ft box I will do it, but I would prefer the 3.0 or 4.5 cu ft sizes. Should I go with a ported box? A ported box should be louder, so that's what I'm leaning towards. I have heard Solo-Baric's in sealed boxes but never in a ported box. Does it sound good in a ported box?

I would like advice/personal experiences/recommendations for setting this up so that it will be really loud and still sound pretty good. I listen to mostly rap and electronic music. I will be pushing it with a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2, a little over 525watts RMS, lil over 1050 watts peak. It's a little below the 750wRMS, 1500wPEAK ability of the sub, but it should still work alright shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance for your help.:D

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have only done a couple set-ups with kicker, my brother had probably a 1 cubic foot sealed box with his square 12(it was a prefab) It sounded pretty tight and kindof loud but you could kind of tell the sub wanted more space. From the sounds of what you listen to and what you are wanting I would say the bigger the better. The 4.5 verse 6, well the 4.5 would sound a little tighter but not quite as loud, but either way it should be preety loud. It is really just a preference as to how you want it to sound, you can always split the difference and do somewhere around 5 cubs. I think that set-up should be pretty loud no matter what size box you go with it is really just how tight you want the bass. We had a kicker 800 on my brother's 12 and it seemed a little underpowered(I am not sure the power rating on that amp though).

·
Registered
197 Posts
fall on your head did ya? Youre lying to yourself if you think you can do a 6cf box and keep weight down, and ease of use to get to the spare. 6cf is like a little hut. i think a large dog can make a nice litttle home out of it. The materials alone youre pushing over 100lbs with ease.

Why do you think you want something that big? are you big on SPL... and if so why? think about this 6cf is a LARGE area, would almost the the same as free airing the sub. I'd keep it around 4. but thats just me.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Good amp to power it with, the 500.2 will do around 750 watts RMS with a STOUT electrical system. with a stock factory electrical system, you will see around 500 watts MAX. The tantrum series amplifiers like their power, no matter what the advertising says. 4 gauge minimum.

I would start with a 2.0 - 2.25 cubic foot sealed box and see how you like it. You do know that your bandpass with 2 10" subs are probably louder then the new sub in a sealed box with the power that you have, right? The 15" will probably sound better tho and thats assuming that the 10's are halfway decent subs. (the gain is better in the bandpass.)

However, comparing 2 10's in a sealed vs 1 15" SOLO, the solo has more surface area

157 square inches of cone area for the 10's vs 225 square inches for the 15" SOLO
(a round 15" sub as 176.625 square inches of cone area.)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I bought a prefab 1.9CF sealed box for the time being. It was cheap, gives me a chance to see how it sounds and decide what I want to do for a permanent box. If it's not too quiet I'll probably stick with this because it's so light and leaves a lot of useful room. If I'm so inclined I'll build a 4.5CF ported box I think. I'll let everyone know how it sounds and how loud it is compared to the 2 10's in the bandpass.

Originally posted by meee2yo
[body]
Good amp to power it with, the 500.2 will do around 750 watts RMS with a STOUT electrical system. with a stock factory electrical system, you will see around 500 watts MAX. The tantrum series amplifiers like their power, no matter what the advertising says. 4 gauge minimum.

I would start with a 2.0 - 2.25 cubic foot sealed box and see how you like it. You do know that your bandpass with 2 10" subs are probably louder then the new sub in a sealed box with the power that you have, right? The 15" will probably sound better tho and thats assuming that the 10's are halfway decent subs. (the gain is better in the bandpass.)

However, comparing 2 10's in a sealed vs 1 15" SOLO, the solo has more surface area

157 square inches of cone area for the 10's vs 225 square inches for the 15" SOLO
(a round 15" sub as 176.625 square inches of cone area.)
[/body]
I have a 5.0 farad capacitor (overkill, I know, but a smoking deal), and plan on buying an optima battery when it becomes convenient. I may get my alternator re-wound at some point but I hope to avoid that. I assure you from my system I produce way over 500 watts max. It is just as loud as it was in my Blazer w/ 190 amp alternator, huge battery, the whole nine yards. If it's really hitting hard and I have the fan and headlights on at idle it will dim the lights and not produce 100% of the power it should, but it's still fairly close. That's without the capacitor btw.

Yeah, my bandpass sounds pretty good but I would sacrifice some volume for extra quality. The bandpass thumps, but I have no hatch area basically. I want a useful car, so out it comes.

Originally posted by Acrux
[body]
fall on your head did ya? Youre lying to yourself if you think you can do a 6cf box and keep weight down, and ease of use to get to the spare. 6cf is like a little hut. i think a large dog can make a nice litttle home out of it. The materials alone youre pushing over 100lbs with ease.

Why do you think you want something that big? are you big on SPL... and if so why? think about this 6cf is a LARGE area, would almost the the same as free airing the sub. I'd keep it around 4. but thats just me.
[/body]
My bandpass box is 6.33CF, made of 1" MDF, and has an extra partition in it and a lot of bracing. It weighs over 150 pounds. Keeping the weight down is relative. I'm looking to save weight if possible, and usable area either way. A 6CF box is absolutely nothing like free airing the sub by the way. Also I never said I wanted a 6CF box, just that if it was that much better than the 3.0 or 4.5CF boxes I would consider it.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I've always liked the sound from sealed enclosures, but I also listen to mostly techno and alternative... I was never into the "boomy" bass.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have an update. This thing is awesome. Exceeded my expectations in every way. If you want great sounding bass without sacrificing all of your hatch area/trunk I highly recommend this. If you like rap, the 15 is about right. Anything else it will be overkill unless you have a thing for having your music overpowered by bass or have a lot of amplified mid/high range. I say in that case a 10" would work for you or if you're unsure a 12".

This thing hits amazingly hard for a sealed box, especially for such a small one. You can hear it coming a looooonnnggggg ways away. It is louder and sounds much better than the two 10's in the bandpass. The amount of air moved is phenomenal. The whole car vibrates like the world is coming to an end. I had to put a 3/4" foam pad under the rear license plate.

Now I just have to hookup the capacitor and buy an Optima battery.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts