Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ppl, I'm using a gt28r in my 2.0 beta and I still have a 2" exhaust with a resonator and a small 2" muffler. I can't boost pass 5-6psi even with the wastegate disconnected! The turbo is recently rebuilt, every clamp, hose etc is triple checked, bov is ok all ok. Is it possible that my exhaust is restrictive and I can't boost because of that?

·
Registered
686 Posts
you should get a bigger exhaust yes, is that whats causing you not to boost any higher, idk...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure about this or I have to look to something else?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
either way you need a bigger exhaust so try that and see if it helps... by the way...hows it run at 5 psi?

·
Registered
63 Posts
maybe the intake system has a boost leak somewhere. does any shop nearby have smoke machine?

my engine was just rebuilt, and the car ran pretty slow. we hooked up a smoke machine and there were about 4 leaks in the IC pipe joints. the biggest problem was a single piece of IC pipe which thinner than all the others. the pipe was so thin, it had deformed from tightening the clamps too tight over the years.

heres a smoke machine.

EELD100, Smoke Machine, Diagnostic, Evaporative Emissions

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I had a small leak but still it doesn't boost the 8 psi the wastegate is set.
It boosts 6 right now.. I assume that's definately the small exhaust.. Any other ideas?
Oh at 6 psi the beta smokes tyres on 2nd gear from 2krpm till redline :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do you know you only had a small leak. I never used a smoke machine to check boost leaks. Just made an adapter to put a valve stem onto the compressor inlet on the turbo. Use a tire pump and see if it holds to whatever psi you want to run. Or hook it up to an air compressor for the lazy people like me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You could always do the ******* check. Disconnect the exhaust entirely and drive the car to see if it boosts till your set limit. If it does exhaust is your limit. If not your problem is elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
The boost loss is more than likely caused because you have the vacuum line to the wastegate from the turbo not the intake manifold. Boost pressure is higher at the turbo than after the intercooler at the manifold. Run a line from the IM instead of the turbo line and try again :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes but this isn't going to boost more psi than the wastegate's preset? Maybe the wastegate sees the 8-9 psi but it will be more right? Isn't that cheating the turbo-wastegate?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
As long as the wastegate is working properly it will be fine. Running the wastegate off the turbo nipple has higher pressure than the intake manifold due to pressure drop. You dont have to do it if you dont want, but its the only way to run exactly what your wastegate is set for :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
disconnect ypur exhaust from your downpipe to make bo restrctions on the exhaust and take a ride around and floor it to see if the boost goes up maybe thats your problem how many psi is the spring of the wastegate?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts