Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 2002 Sonata, but have been hearing bad things about the quality of the paint jobs. Today at the lot, I saw 3 Sonatas that all had paint flaking off (mainly around the door handle) I am wondering if anyone has had any simmilar experiences or has any information on this.

Thanks in advance, I don't want to end up with a car that looks like a mid 90's GM

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have never seen the paint peel on the sheet metal, a few handles, but having them re-painyted is relatively cheap, I can garauntee you will not have gm's paint problems.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
well, before the new wave of hyundai's were introduced..hyundai must've cut cost' by not using primer on the cars or certain cars..

for instance when i got into my Car accident yesterday..i noticed naked paint flaking off the bare sheet metal...same for the bumper..paint sprayed on raw plastic,

this happen's when new car's are left out on the lot exposed to excessive rain, sun and bird poop..which deteoriate's the clearcoat and increase's chance of raw paint being exposed which is why it flakes off because some car's are that prepped for delivery are pressure washed

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My mom's 02 Sonata has paint problems. Its flakin and chip off the door handles and the plastic trim pieces.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The 2002 Sonata was the first year model for the 5th gen.......which had the paint problems similar to the 2003 Tiburon. It'd be a better idea to get a newer Sonata if you're worried that much about the paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2000 sonata has paint flaking off the door handles and mirrors. I'll get them repainted if I decide to keep the car for a while longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 06 LX and while its not peeling on it own, once it gets a chip it flakes off fast and easy! I mean get a touch fix fast! Don't let it go! Water seems to get under it easy and rust and flakes off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
to fix the problem with the door handles just take 180 grit sand paper sanded it lightly prime it then base coat then clear or you can use a single stage base coat but it wont last as long as a two stage a single stage have base and clear mixed together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts