Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Tire Rack web site and ran across a Eibach spring kit that would fit my 06 Sonota. They were recommending a Alignment kit to go along with the springs. Can some one fill me in on these? There is limited information in the Sonota section of this website so hence why I am asking for guidance here.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The 06+ Sonata has a double wishbone suspension. The key benefit of this suspension type is whenever you turn the car, as the body rolls the outside wheel gains negative camber, enhancing cornering performance. To give you an idea, my old Civic Si, another car with double wishbone suspension, would normally sit like this:

However when the front end was lowered (under heavy braking in this pic), you can see that it gains significant amounts of negative camber.

Both pictures are from an autocross in 2006 courtesy of the excellent photography skills of TeamWTF Racing.

When you lower a car with double wishbones, be it a Civic/Integra, Miata, or any number of sports cars, the same effect happens: you invariably end up getting more negative camber at the wheels. An alignment kit will allow you to dial out some of that negative camber to help tire wear. The kit from eibach will probably replace the bolts that your lower control arms pivot on, allowing you to change the amount of camber at the wheels. Your alignment shop will know where they go and what they are for lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, so its a good idea to get these aswell then? Sorry for the silly follow up question but I'd rather not F#@k it up:cool:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
It won't hurt to get them, but its not 100% necessary. It will help with tuning the suspension and tire wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
canuke, did you end up getting those eibach springs? i really want to stiffen up the suspension on my 2008 sonata also, and i was wondering how those springs perform.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not as yet, I shall post pics and reviews when I get them in. Expect it to take a month or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts