Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second born, Alex, is prone to ear infections. Is there any natural prevention or treatment for them? He is 8 months old and has already had 3. I hate giving him antibiotics.

Thanks Doc.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
I had ear infections all the time when I was growing up. I was always told not to get water in my ears. Whenever I went swimming I got infections. I had to get small "tubes" put in my ears so that the fluids would drain properly and my hearing has been affected also.

I always had to get my hearing checked and things. I think mine started around when I was three. I remember going to the hospital though and getting a blood test that first time. Not a happy experience.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Sounds like his neck need checked. The infants and children that are brought to my office with problems like your child has. Typically have problems in their upper neck leading to a pinched nerve and pinching of the tubes that drain the ears. Finding the areas of impingment and adjusting them leads to less ear infections. Usually this is started by either the birthing process and or minor trauma like a bump to the head. Look for a pediatric chiropractor or one that has had training and experience for treating children. A researched based guideline on chiropractic care for children just came out last month and it's phenominal.

If chiropractic doesn't help and the child continues to get ear infections. You'll need to get the child tested for allergies, but his is something you do after trying chiropractic.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you.

Red_AGT : see that is exactly what I am trying to combat. I really don't want him to need tubes later.

Doc : I knew of the allergy business but I never even thought of chiropractics. Rediculous eh? There is a good chiropractor just up the street from me. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
I think mine was caused by an extreme high fever when I was young. It caused my ears to close a bit.

Having tubes put in every six months or so (would naturally fall out) was kind of a pain because when I was young they would have to do it in the operating room under general anesthetics. When I got older they didn't have to put me under but use local anesthetic, but still in the operating room. Finally a different doctor could do it in his facilities he had in his office.

I really hated taking medicine because I was worried about tolerance and other effects of taking antibiotics all the time. Once I was old enough to know more, when I had an ear infection I chose not to take antibiotics if the pain wasn't too severe.

Now I'm fine, but I think I lost a bit of hearing in my left ear. I also had to have skin grafted onto my right ear drum and there is a lot of scarring on my ear drums as well as scar tissue from the grafting surgery.

My left ear particularily gets plugged up whenever I get a cold. I don't want to get tubes again so I just wait it out. One doctor also recommend me to plug my nose and blow hard to force air out of the ears. It hurts, but it helps a bit. Sometimes it happens naturally when I blow my nose.

I rarely go swimming, but when I do I' always worried about getting an ear infection.

I hope Alex can have fewer problems and with Doc's suggestions, find a quick and easy solution.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No kidding. I hope that X doesn't go through any of that. Ugh. I feel for you.

I too have issues with water when I swim. One suggestion, if you do ever want to swim and not worry, is silicon ear plugs. They are almost like silly putty and you form them into the shape of your outer ear just to cover the hole. They are a little sticky, don't show much and are used by most avid swimmers. They are the only thing that has stood between me and more hearing loss. You can purchase them at most drug stores

1 - 6 of 6 Posts