Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best plugs.... Iam going to replace them because of the head gasket. But since im going turbo in about a month. Which would be the best plug for turbo???

Thanks

This is for a 2002 1.5L accent

·
Registered
99 Posts
just keep em standard till the turbo goes in
NGK BRK5ES-11 i think are the standard ones
go to scoupe turbo ones when the turbo goes on
i think they are NGK BRK5ES-10 or something similar (they are a colder plug)

·
Registered
99 Posts
ha - and i remebered that number off the top of my head from the last time i changed my plugs about 10thou kays ago :)
indeed - NKG website confirms that it is BKR5ES-11
the scoupe ones are BKR6ES

·
Registered
58 Posts
Brisk is good too. Using DOR15LGS for comp 11:1 LC2. So far, running for 30K hasnt been replace yet. Only took it out and clean it during 10k servicings.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was just going post to ask a question about this...good timing. I need new spark plugs as i'm at 50 000km. Should I go for the iradium ix spark plugs (BKR5EIX-11)? I will prob get the wires to. I don't have turbo. Pretty stock setup. thx.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I agree with Ryuu...

The base you SHOULD go for are the NGK BKR6ES. For the money, they're one of the best plugs you can buy and they're tried and true. If you start knocking, switch to a colder plug, but I doubt that'll happen.

Whatever you do, do not use platinium plugs after you install your turbo. Use what you have right now, and when you swap to the turbo, then swap your plugs and wires. Iridium plugs are great, but they perform JUST as well as copper plugs and a full set of copper plugs cost just as much as 1 iridium ones. If you had a V6 or a V8, I would recommend the Iridiums because plugs are hard as hell to swap in sometimes... but you've got it easy at the moment!

Howie~

P.S. For Lived, Just go for basic plugs. Buying Iridium plugs will not increase or unleash lost power, it's just a waste of cash...

·
Registered
71 Posts
You think using BKR6ES - 11 plugs in a tropical country ( Weather Around 85 - 90 F ) is a smart move??
one step colder than recomended spark plus?

·
Registered
99 Posts
the temperature of the plug has nothing to do with the external temperature :D
what its got to do with is the ability to absorb heat from the engine
a colder plug will (if ive got this right) absorb more heat, meaning it will not pre-detonate as easy
thats why the scoupe turbo plugs are a range colder then normal, as peak pressures and temperatures in the cylinder are greater then in the standard alpha engine
the standard plugs in the scoupe turbo wont be able to get the heat away quick enough and will start to pre-detonate

well, thats my understanding of it anyway - it could be totally wrong

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would suggest reading the tech info on spark plugs off that website. I read it it helped a lot. I will go for the regular plugs thx

·
Registered
58 Posts
Never heard of Brisk... where do you buy them at?
I got them from a local supplier where I live. Its not cheap...cost me around 60 bucks for 4. I was told its a cold plug....and it worked well running at high comp. I was using super 4 before that...and it pings during hard acceleration and hot afternoons.
U can take a look here. Brisk Racing

·
Registered
687 Posts
I dont understand why people would pay 60 dollars for a full set of plugs...

I've played with a lot of F/I plugs, and the NGK copper tips are always the best and most practical things to use. Iridium plugs aren't worth the money, nor will they ever be unless changing your plugs is a PITA!

If most turboed import tuners are satisfied with a 1.99 plug and have NO issues whatsoever, why spend money on a 15 dollar one?

HOwie~

1 - 20 of 25 Posts