Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 18's on my 01 hyundai accent...and was wondering what would be best for looks and performance:confused: As I look though the site I am still lost in wither I should get lowering springs or coilovers? what is the pro's and con's on them:confused: ...I want to be able to stiffen my ride so that it does not make nosie when I have friends in the back seat...as well as looks...But the coilover I find are quite $$$$....thanks for your time..:cool:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, The lowering springs and gas struts offer a bumpier ride but more precise handling as the coilovers offer a harsh ride but even more precise handling. As far as 18's go that should be pretty harsh ride anyway.
Your probably gonna rub in the rear no matter what you do.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Because of how close the 18's sit to the spring perch I am not too sure that coilovers will work. Depends on the relative location to the tire vertically. If the coilover's spring sits higher up the strut body it won't cause a problem but if you lower it down it will interfere with the top of the tire because there's not enough clearance to fit between the tire and strut body.

I put a lot of effort into making the 18's work on my Accent and I got rid of 95% of the rubbing but I could never manage to eliminate it altogether. I think taller bump stops matched with stiff springs would have been the only thing that would have worked proplerly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
go to advance auto, buy like 20 rubber coil spacers, stuff like 3 or 4 in between most of the coils.
no more scrape.

thats whats holding up my rear suspension currently until i can afford some type of suspension.

oh or you can go to your local custom auto shop and they will roll your fenders.

but yea, if you get lowering springs thats just gonna scrape more. at least with coilovers you can adjust them.

why do i know? cause i had 17inch drag tires on the back of my accent.
good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
yea thats asking for cracked paint and the look of ****.

ive heard of people using the stock wheel and a baseball bat
but your better off paying a shop 80 bucks then risking hundreds of dollars in damage.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Or you can grind off the excess fender lip. That's what I do with zero ill effects and it's free. Due to the shape of the rear fender you don't have to grind it completely away, and fender rolling won't be sufficient for clearance because you need to remove the bolt and bolt support where the rear bumper bolts into the rear quarter panel at the wheel well with a grinder.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
OOOOoooorrr...You said looks and performance right? Get some sweet looking 16"s. Less radial effort on your engine, you can get a good set of coilovers and still look badass. Unless you really like the 18"s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts