Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I had my belts inspected while getting an oil change and I was told they looked good. A short time after that inspection my belts started to squeak at startup when it was cold outside (near freezing). Now, my belts squeak for a few minutes before the car warms up. Belt performance was acceptable when I was driving until recently were the belts squeak in mid-drive (is that a word?)

Anyway, should I have them checked? Is this a sign that the belts need to be replaced? What belts do I have beside timing belt? Is it a simple fix for a Hyundai tech or will it cost hundreds of dollars? Should I also get the timing belt changed if they are replacing the other belts?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Congratulations, you are taking the first step towards saving yourself thousands of dollars in automotive repairs.

The belts will squeak more when cold, old and loose, that is normal for old belts even if they looked 'ok' a few months ago. Open your hood and look at the side of the engine not connected to the transmission. You will see a number of belts, all of which can squeal, none of which are the timing belt. The timing belt (unless an Accent is WAY different to my Elantra) is hidden/protected behind plastic covers on the side of the engine.

The most likely culprit of squealing is the power steering belt, but any of them can do it. The power steering pump will be the smaller of two belt-driven accessories with 2 big hoses on it (A/C compressor is much larger) ... loosen the bolts holding the pump to the engine and pull the belt off. If it's shiny, replace it. If it's not, put it back on and pull like the devil on the pump when you tighten the belt. Hopeful outcome: quiet belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations, you are taking the first step towards saving yourself thousands of dollars in automotive repairs.

The belts will squeak more when cold, old and loose, that is normal for old belts even if they looked 'ok' a few months ago. Open your hood and look at the side of the engine not connected to the transmission. You will see a number of belts, all of which can squeal, none of which are the timing belt. The timing belt (unless an Accent is WAY different to my Elantra) is hidden/protected behind plastic covers on the side of the engine.

The most likely culprit of squealing is the power steering belt, but any of them can do it. The power steering pump will be the smaller of two belt-driven accessories with 2 big hoses on it (A/C compressor is much larger) ... loosen the bolts holding the pump to the engine and pull the belt off. If it's shiny, replace it. If it's not, put it back on and pull like the devil on the pump when you tighten the belt. Hopeful outcome: quiet belt.

True story, it worked for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took my car to the local Hyundai dealer last week and they replaced all three accessory belts: ac, power steering and ... I forget the other one.

All is well and my squeeling is gone. It's nice to be able to start a car and just drive off. Who knew? ;)

Thanks guys.

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts