Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was

now

Much less noise at lower rpms at WOT (I like that) but it has a nice snarl once you cross 4.5krpms. Low end power is improved and I am noticing smoother shifts because the intake is limiting the engines movment. I just hope that doesn't tear the intake up.

The only negative I can say about the full CAI is a slight loss of throttle responce. O well. Id say its worth it. Other than having to beat the hell out of part of the fender :ermm: That sucked.

[Edited by WytchDctr on Jan 15, 2006 12:02 AM]

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dude there's no way that CAI is putting anywhere near enough stress on the engine to stop it from moving. If anything the engine would flex or break that pipe with ease. That said with that flexible piece in there I wouldn't worry about damaging it due to engine movement. BTW nice design but I would try to put the intake some place where there is actual airflow like behind the headlight. You may be able to put a 90 degree elbow around the battery and run straight pipe to the headlight. Putting it in the fender doesn't give you any airflow and its not that cool of air (granted cooler than the engine bay temp).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Awesome setup you got on there now, I have the short ram on my car and I get below 100F when moving, idle 100-127F. So that will help lots, good job!

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd take a freaking video for you if I was not so lazy (I am not taking that thing off to prove a point). The elantras engine would rock BAD (2 of travel atleast) before that was installed to the point I had to shift my WAI because it was hitting the transmission mount. Now it moves all of about 1/2 an inch. Now you see why I am worried about it damaging the intake, aka bending the crap out of it. As far as flow look at my bumper in this pic

if you look at the front of the car at the bottom right you will see a hole that was went for a foglight. I have no foglights just a hole. Right behind this hole is a filter. I think I am getting enough flow to not have to worry about redoing an intake I just installed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok sorry I thought it was routed into the space between the inner and outer fenders. Where you've got it is perfect good job. You may want to put one of those flex pieces at the TB. Between the two flex pieces I think you should be ok.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I USED to have both a SRI AND CAI and at the time my accent pulled a 0-100km/hr(0-60MPH) of 10.2(CAI) and 10.4(SRI) on my G-tech(with 17's and stereo).
I moulded in a larger 3" exit on my airbox with K&N panel(PVC fitting modified and moulded into an enlarged area in the top of the air-box) and will combine that with the CAI from HVE/PSC. As yet with the stock bottom half with a short pipe(also bigger than stock-3") to behind the headlight. The modded airbox and piping has been sprayed black with 'wrinkle paint' for a stock appearance and I use black rubber connecors and stainless hose clamps for connections.
With the same stretch of road it is down to 9.86sec. I'm OVER pod filters and YES the SRI AND CAI were properly constructed. Induction noise is still there(no resonators) but subdued and power is stronger at all revs compared to either of the above options. Once I get the Carbon intake,times should drop further!
The other benefit,is I can't be defected!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well if you go look at their site, it is a carbon snout leading up to the gap between bonnet and ratiator support. It is also substantially larger in area than a standard airbox intake(std box has around 60mm hole in it) and is blended in giving a MUCH bigger intake covering the original area and half way down the side of the airbox. Combined with the K&N and enlarged top exit(3") and bigger pipe to TB means excellent flow. And yes the carbon fibre section is an excellent heat shield material.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts