Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's 2001 Tiberon has been intermittantly stalling for a few months now and it seems to be getting worse. It occurs mostly when coming to a stop or when stopped & putting it into reverse. There are no CEL's and it seems to start and run well otherwise.

I had a mechanic look at it a few months back and since it would not flash a CEL, he didn't know where to start. He suggested possibly it was the Idle Air Control valve. I replaced that and no change.

Today, I had the Hyundai dealer look at it and they could not get it to stall, so they didn't know what to do. It stalled 4 times on the way to the dealer and once on the way home!

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
99's had a recall about low speed stalling. Caused by vibrations on the MAF's wiring harness interrupting the signal to the ECM.

I just checked and the 01 wasn't recalled, but knowing they had an issue with the MAF and low speed stalls I would start there.

Can you give any more details on what the car does just before, during the stall, and how hard is it to restart the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There isn't much warning that it's going to stall. The engine just shuts off. Restarting is immediate...no hard cranking or having to wait. Sometimes when coming to a stop, instead of stalling, it will "chug" as my daughter describes it. It's kind of a surging like it's about to stall, but it catches it's breath.

I will check the MAF wiring visually and see if everything seems tight.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out the wiring connections to the MAF and they seemed tight and did not look like the were installed so they would vibrate much.

I did notice that one of the aie cleaner clips was not attached and that the air cleaner itself looked like one end had been pinched in between the case and the cover. Could this allow excess air in and therefore throw off the MAF in any way?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If it's an automatic it could be the torque converter. But usually when those go bad they just go bad not so much of an intermitted problem. Also could be the ignition? I had a fiat with a bad ignition switch that really only flared up when someone got in the car with a cigerette. I know it sounds stupid but for about six months that's how it acted. With no warning it would stall. Then one day the ignition switch completely quit working. Just something to ponder.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts