Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant decide between a auto or standard. iv been looking for a auto 2000 tiburon but all i can find are standards and i dont know how to drive a standard, so is it worth learning or should i keep looking. tks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya ill prolly get a standard i just have troubles starting (any tips) like how much gas to u give before u take ur foot off the clutch.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My Accent is my first manual transmission car. Before I got it, I'd only ever driven a stick once, for about half an hour. Aside from having a bit of a hairy time getting it home (traffic jam on interstate) and stalling fairly often for the first couple of weeks, I didn't have a problem. So I say, go with the manual. It's certainly a heck of a lot more fun than an auto!

My tips/advice:
  • Practice in a parking lot until you get at least a little used to it
  • When trying to start uphill, use your E-brake. Release it at the same time as the clutch, and if you start to roll backwards, reengage both.
  • If you stall and people behind you get upset, don't let them get to you. Being nervous makes it harder
  • Too much gas, and you do a burnout. Too little, and you stall. Either way, you won't break your car so don't worry too much
  • Smoothness is key, and it takes practice. Don't give up.
[Edited by mrchaotica on Sep 26, 2004 9:16 PM]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for all the advice got any more im going to the dealership on wed and i kinda want to take it for a test drive without it always stalling.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Originally posted by pyro
[body]
thanx for all the advice got any more im going to the dealership on wed and i kinda want to take it for a test drive without it always stalling.
[/body]
As you let the clutch out, the RPMs will drop. If you don't compensate with a little gas, you'll stall. Too much gas and you'll peel out.
The key to learning is knowing the car. Not only will you be learning a new shifting technique, but a new car as well. It helps to know how the gas pedal responds, and how the clutch responds. Practice with both. Rev the car a little. Let the clutch out SLOWLY until you feel it start to engage (the RPMs will drop a little and the car will move forward slightly) then push it back in. The most common mistake with learners is once they feel the car move forward they let the clutch out the rest of the way. Don't do that. Once the clutch starts to engage, you still have about 1.5 inches left (on my Tiburon) before it is engaged fully. It is that last 1.5 inch that matters, on clutches anyway;): so take it slow.

Nobody learsn right away, it takes a little practice. It took me about 2 hours to get to the point where I was not killing the car. Took me a week or so to make it so I wasn't letting the clutch out super slow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome thaks that helped a whole lot, ya when i was practising before i would just realease the clutch when it started to move and then quickly step on the gas so i think that was my problem.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts