Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since I was on here last. Hoping I can get some help, you've always pulled through for me before.

I have been having some issues with starting my Accent LC. It doesn't happen at any specific time (cold and hot engine) and it seems to me that it could be the clutch sensor but I could be very wrong. I put my foot on the clutch and turn the key and nothing happens. I will normally then take my foot off the clutch and put it on again but harder and this will usually work but lately it has begun being more and more temperamental. Sometimes it takes 10 times to get it going.

I have also had some issues with my RPM. It was really bad at one stage where I would be driving along and doing a gear change at 3000 RPM and the revs wouldn't come down at all during the change. It would also rev high while braking to try to come to a stop (not the most fun ever). I took it for a service and he cleaned the throttle body and it fixed it almost completely but it is coming back. This service was only 2 months ago and I find it hard to believe that the throttle body could get gunked up again that fast. Is it possible that anything else could be causing this issue? I ran the idea of a blown head gasket to the mechanic and he said he didn't think it was. Not sure if he tested it though.

Thanks in advance for your answers and help.

Aaron

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since I was on here last. Hoping I can get some help, you've always pulled through for me before.

I have been having some issues with starting my Accent LC. It doesn't happen at any specific time (cold and hot engine) and it seems to me that it could be the clutch sensor but I could be very wrong. I put my foot on the clutch and turn the key and nothing happens. I will normally then take my foot off the clutch and put it on again but harder and this will usually work but lately it has begun being more and more temperamental. Sometimes it takes 10 times to get it going.
Could be a clutch switch, or could be a dead spot in the starter.

I have also had some issues with my RPM. It was really bad at one stage where I would be driving along and doing a gear change at 3000 RPM and the revs wouldn't come down at all during the change. It would also rev high while braking to try to come to a stop (not the most fun ever). I took it for a service and he cleaned the throttle body and it fixed it almost completely but it is coming back. This service was only 2 months ago and I find it hard to believe that the throttle body could get gunked up again that fast. Is it possible that anything else could be causing this issue? I ran the idea of a blown head gasket to the mechanic and he said he didn't think it was. Not sure if he tested it though.

Thanks in advance for your answers and help.

Aaron
As for this high idle issue, could be a number of things, first off, are all the vacuum lines hooked up securley and properly. Inspect the hose condition (cracked, torn, broken?) A Vacuum leak can cause all sorts of idle issues. Secondly is the throttle returning all the way to the set 'closed' position? If it is then thirdly. Check the IAC valve, make sure its operating correctly. fourth check for an actual intake manifold leak (manifold to head gasket, throttle body to manifold gasket, or anything inbetween). An issue like this will not be caused by a head gasket. It is possible if the engine is in poor health that you may be sucking alot of oil through the breather lines causing sludge buildup in the intake manifold. but again nothing i would be extremely worried about if it seems to run fine minus the idle issue.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a clutch switch, or could be a dead spot in the starter.
This is interesting. I had been waiting for it to happen again and when it did I left my foot on the clutch and tried it a few times without moving the clutch. It started eventually which makes me think it could be the dead spot in the starter. Does this diagnosis make sense from the syptoms?

It is possible if the engine is in poor health that you may be sucking alot of oil through the breather lines causing sludge buildup in the intake manifold.
This sounds like it might be the cause of the idle issues. I was going through heaps of oil before I got it serviced. Seems to be keeping most of the oil in the sump at the moment and hasn't been playing up too badly either. Might have this looked into though.

Thanks heaps for your help. Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Aaron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts