Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting electric shocks from my car. Whats the deal? I dont know why but its always (everytime) I drive my car and get out, the minute I touch the ground with my hand on the door i get a shock. Now I know why it happens but why is it happening to me? Is there something i can do to fix it, as it is quite a harsh shock? Could it be my ground's are bad? Could I need some ground wires? Let me know what the deal is...

--Aaron--

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is really easy, I learned about it in my physics class. Basically when you get out of the car your clothes come in contact with the seat. You move quickly the clothes and seat rub together moving electrons off your body onto the seat leaving your body with a net positive charge. Once you touch the metal doorhandle(conductor) the excess charge discharges through your body to the door handle and the car into the ground. Try getting out of your car slower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
try holding some metal as you swivel out of your seat. Unpainted is best. I know, there isn't much. :(

in lieu of that, hold your key firmly in your hand and touch it to something. The charge will dissipate over a larger surface of your skin and not hurt as bad.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Originally posted by Tugger5000
[body]
Take a dryer softener sheet and rub it over your front seat once a week during the winter time.
[/body]
Oddly enough this works!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts