Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! As a lot of you guys here already explained, accents are notorious for bad steering at higher speeds...some of you report unstability at steering at 60, others at 80 mph. I have the same problem. Since accents "bigger brother" tiburon doesnt have these problems, i was thinking, is it possible to swap the entire steering system to a 1995-1999 X3 hyundai accent?
if EVERYTHING else is swappable... even this should be right?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I doubt that it would fit but I can't say that for sure.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey! As a lot of you guys here already explained, accents are notorious for bad steering at higher speeds...some of you report unstability at steering at 60, others at 80 mph. I have the same problem. Since accents "bigger brother" tiburon doesnt have these problems, i was thinking, is it possible to swap the entire steering system to a 1995-1999 X3 hyundai accent?
so why dont you try and let everyone else know how it goes

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wel i just might...
i'm gonna take apart a Hyundai Lantra (not Elantra) and make some measurements.
will let u guyz know.
i think a good way to solve this problem is a caster increase. i will simply redrill the 3 strut mount holes and move the whole strutbackwards for 1/2 inch. that would give me extra 1-2deg. of camber.
greetz

·
Registered
63 Posts
whiteline used to sell some caster adjustment bushings for the x3 accent, but its not listed on their site anymore

Whiteline Automotive - performance handling and suspension products. car spring coil shock damper swaybar sway bar anti-sway bush bushes australia australian whiteline automotive performance road holding turn-in camber caster toe in vehicle hot 4 v8

you might contact them to see if they still have any

i've been concerned about my accent's steering skiddishness on the highway for years. could be wrong but i figure its inherent in the short wheelbase.

edit: they still have the caster kit, part number KCA304 $79.27 (AU)

it adds +1.0 degree

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Tib is based on the Elantra, not the Accent. I highly doubt it would swap without major modifications and fabrication.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also the beta engine is built for tibby, and still it fits in accent perfectly...
also the brakes(front ones) and with a bracket, also the rears... plus...etc...

i am thinking about column fixation points to the chassy... the end rods wouldnt be hard to modify i think. i will have to check though.
the thing tht really bothers me(i dont have servo), is the "deadzone" (one who play racing simulations know what i talk about)... the steering wheel has a lot of in "play" in the center position. i'd like the steering to be CRISP, and not only after i turn the wheel 10degrees... you know what i mean? does anybody have the same problems?
cya
Igor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts