Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '04 Accent GT with approx 57,000 miles. I am the original owner. As of late I have noticed that I am getting a slight shake in the steering. I have new tires and just had them re-balanced to rule that out. Is there some sort of bushings that need serviced or changed? any thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i did a google search for 'shakey steering causes' and came up with this

WikiAnswers - Your car just got balanced and aligned and it still seems to shake what can be wrong

i've got a really shakey steering too. i think its a tire ply separation problem. never heard of this in the old days, but seems to be mentioned a fair amount nowadays.

if thats not it, i'll check dented rim (potholes), cv joints, wheel bearings...

i bought 4 new tires from tirerack about a year ago for another car, and when the guy mounted and balanced them, one of the tires wobbled so much, the guy said it was defective. i called tirerack and they sent me a new tire without any hassle at all.

finding the problem might be trial and error. good luck.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
At what speed(s) do you get the steering shake?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like at about 30mph is the worst, and the faster I go it seems to smooth out. The shake is not that bad just was never there before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i also get a shake in my car i tryed finding out what it was i took it to get it alligned.. got new tire rod ends... and got the wheels rebalanced. the only thing left is the tires. I got them to put the tires or the balancer and while it was rotation i noticed the tire has a wave in it. So basically they are warped. Even if you get new tires there still can be deformity's usually broken belts try getting your tires checked for broken belts. My problem is i need new tires because they are warped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
could also be a bad cv joint.the same thing happened on my moms car and after i swapped that out the shaking stopped completely.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Shakes

The only Problem I have had with my Accent is the front wheel bearings. When they start to go your wheel will shake. When the totally go the can scream at you .

Lift your ride & if you can shake your tires your bearings are bad

Jeff

·
Registered
106 Posts
get a front end alignment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem and changed out my wheel bearings and it went away. They are like $16 a side for the front ones. Mine went bad around 60,000 miles and the car was nearly undriveable the steering shake was so bad. Soon after I changed my rotors too because they were warped, and that really smoothed things out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts