Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Elantra, and we recently had it in to have a new timing belt put on. There is about 99 000km on the car. After getting the belt on and driving it home we noticed a noise when turing the wheel left/right, espically when backing up and turning it. We called them and took it back in, they said they "fixed" the noise and noticed that there was a small crack in the power steering pump, not leaking and doesn't have to be replaced at this time. It was closing time, so when we got in the car, they had locked up and left, so we went to drive it out of the lot.. and the noise when turning the wheel was still there...as well.. with the windows up, air/radio off I now heard a noise from the front left dashboard area.. hard to describe.. but like liquid moving through something... this noise when turning was "not" there before we had the timing belt replaced, and the other noise was not there until the 2nd time it was in. We are calling tomorrow morning to get it back in but being a Sat, and they close early it will prob be next week... do you think something could of happened durning the timing belt change???

Thanks !:)

·
Registered
499 Posts
The only things that I can think of are PS belt tension and PS fluid level, both easy things to check. The crack worries me. Even if it is just in the pulley, if it lets go on the road you have no water pump or PS and have to be towed.

·
Registered
596 Posts
When i had my timing belt done a little while ago i also had the same screech that you are getting...

Mine turned out to be the power steering belt tension...
It was so loose i could depress it about 15mm...
It should only depress 6mm...

They probably didnt re-tension the belts after taking it for a quick drive like they are meant to...

Try putting a bar of soap to the side of the belt...
This will stop the squeel...
But you should still get the belts re-tightened...

As for the liquid sounds, maybe there is air in the PS system...

Cheers
scythe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts