Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Allright so the last few weeks I've been doing a little project. I've had such a hard time trying to find a header for my 03' 1.6L, and making sure the header fit also, that I decided to do it myself.

I purchased a used header from ryanolson and he even offered to gut it for me. At first I thought this was a great idea and I wouldn't have to go any further. Great work and thanks a lot Ryan.

Well I got bored and had extra time so I decided to remove the cat completly and have a local shop put in a straight pipe. The shop did an allright job. It looks better than it is. Instead of shrinking the pipe down they just shrunk it a little amount. So the end of the header where it shrinks to under 2" has 2 1/4" piping attached. I went in with a dremel for a couple hours and smoothed out the inside to make it a little smoother.

Well time seems to be my worst enemy and I am never satisified. I decided that I would try to paint it with some dupli-color high temp paint, with ceramic. I really wanted to do this for heat/performance more than looks. It says it will last up to 1200 degrees so we will see if it lasts. Either way it turned out to look pretty nice.

The Dupli-color paint says to make it most heat resistant to bake it. This turns out to be a smelly affair, and a little smokey, so don't do it in your house like I did unless you want to pass out. I baked it @400 for 2 hours. By the time it was finished it stopped smoking and smelling so I was happy. I did realize I didn't follow the directions correctly and applied several coats over several hours instead of all coats in one hour. So I got some bubbles coming up, that were trapped between layers. I don't really care because it's under the hood and I'm using the main heatsheild anyways.

I used 187sks's installation so I knew what I was getting into.
http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/f...75240-1-6l-dohc-evofusion-header-install.html
It all followed pretty well, except I don't have to touch the driver side radiator fan, power steering pump, and only had to remove the two bolts on the undertray that are in the middle. I'm assuming this is because of the more room that the catless header gave me. Also I had no problem at all removing the O2 sensor with a 22mm wrench and dropped in the new painted header from the top instead of raising it from underneath. Because of the ok job the muffler shop did I had to remove the support, underneath at the front. This is what it looked like before putting the heatshield on.

With the heatshield in, it looks just like stock. I wasn't able to get a picture because it started to rain and I just went inside.

With the header on I can tell a slight sound difference when I apply some heavy throttle. Just going around town sound is exactly the same. I feel a power increase that I'm happy with. I always pay attention to my gas mileage and I was getting 33/34 around town and 36 on the highway. I'll update later with results after, once I put some miles on it.

A question to others is that I tried to do the mechanical O2 sensor but I couldn't get the O2 sensor to fit. Am I missing something or is the secondary O2 sensor larger than those found on other cars? I'm not looking forward to a cel so I will figure something out quickly.

For clarification I have no modifications on the car at all.

Also here's a list of parts I used.

Used header - 65
Muffler shop work - 60
Dupli-color paint - 7
Dremel bit - 4
Total - 136

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mechanical O2 simulator that I'm using is this one.

Forums -> Mechanical O2 Simulator

DIY Mechanical O2 simulator - Forced Induction and Swaps - Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical O2 Sensor Simulator with PICS. - Club RSX Message Board

I have used it before on an S2K and several other cars. You take spark plug anti-foulers and drill one of them out with a 1/2" drill. You screw the O2 sensor into the one drilled out and then screw the two anti foulers together. This gives that sensor a lower temperature, thus not tripping a cel.

When I tried to do this with my 03' accent 1.6L I could not get the O2 sensor into the 1/2" whole that I drilled out. So unless I screwed something up the secondary O2 sensor that is on my car is larger than other cars. (Just to note) This is a question. I might have screwed this simple process up.

Any better?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
to paint it....drive the car around for a bit...sorta hard to build up heat...then BLAST IT with paint...Ive done that with all my piping and it still looks nice and shiney when i clean it of course.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Ok, I see now. Where's it hitting? Is it hitting the .5" bored part or is the threaded portion of the O2 sensor too large to thread in?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually can't. The next size up uses 1/2" shank and my drill dosen't accept those. But I'm also not sure if it can be bored anymore. It is running very thin. That is exactly what I thought "It is interesting that it's a different size."

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Why the hell did you remove your cat?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well isn't that a nice way to phrase a question.

It was an experiement to see what kind of results, power/gas mileage, I could get by taking out the restriction. I was looking at getting a header and that would remove the cat as well. Seeing as this is an economy car with cheaper parts I assumed Hyundai would not put a high dollar/high flowing cat on our cars so the possibility for power/gas mileage is there.

An update to this is besides the initial slight power gain I got, I have seen my gas mileage rise by 2mpg over 2 tankfulls, all highway. This raises my highway mpg from 36 to 38. When I start driving around town a little more I can get a more mixed highway/city gas mileage estimate.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also got the sensor to fit in the spark plug foulers. But the walls are very thin and I don't know if they can take the heat and stress over time. But as of right now, 750 miles and zero cel. If It does not break I assume I will never get a cell.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I apologize for the brazenness of my question. It was undeserved. I'm just sick of people f*cking with things on their cars without knowing exactly what they're doing. For one thing, you won't pass emissions without a cat. I've only been able to tune a few cars to pass emissions without a cat, and they could only pass at dead idle...and they made no power whatsoever. And it was crazy how much I had to screw with the PCM's to do it.

BTW, did you know it's a $10,000 fine from the EPA to remove an emissions device? 10 grand for each one?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Fintile - Do you have any pictures of the piping you've done this to?
No pictures, but thats just what I do. It bakes almost any kind of paint to your exhaust pipping though.

Damn Attist, 10k for removing a cat? isnt it just a fix it ticket or something?

·
Registered
686 Posts
nope i think its a federal crime

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
No one ever gets fined. I think its only when you do it multiple times. Most just fail smog and are told to fix it. Its not like robbing a bank.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually live in Florida, so I never have to do any sort of emissions testing. Getting caught really isn't a possibility for me.

I thought it was an initial fine of 3,000 if the emissions system was tampered with. Possibly raises after the initial one, but you are correct it is a federal crime.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I think the big EPA fine is if you're a business (exhaust shop for example) doing that to people's cars, but I'm not positive.

And Attist, removing the cat almost always makes more power, although long term it sometimes confuses the ECU depending on the car. It's there for a reason but the reason has nothing to do with helping you make power. I have gone to biting the bullet and adding high flow cat(s) to every emissions controlled car's exhaust I have work done to that has an O2 sensor behind the cat(s) to prevent a CEL but for the most part you'll still make more power with no cat and the CEL on than through the stock cat. Most stock cats are extremely restrictive.

I use to hollow out my cats on a regular basis and I saw noticeable improvements on every car I did it to. And no, I don't have to worry about emissions where I live. Otherwise I would have had to do things differently than I use to. I think everything I have now would pass emissions if I had to test them though. I've got several hundred dollars worth of aftermarket cats under them so they had better pass. lol.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i have the Evo exhaust with no cat and i am really tired of the stinky exhaust. it get in the car and stinks up everything. would a high flow cat help get rid of that? what kind of cat did they put on yours 187sks?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts