Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there some secret code to the stock ecu? How come no one can seem to modify it at all?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
because most people dont need to change anything on their ECU because they have a few bolt ons. The only people that really mod their ecu are the turbo users.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i know that on other countries the hyundai's ecu and others can be reflashed but dont know why nobody do this on the U.S. Im not sure if its the MAF thing 'cause on others countries they have MAP base.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've changed the ecu chip 3 times. Total disaster! I'm going for the last time now.. SOHC Maf based ECU.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The reason you can't is because manufacturers have been pressured into making ecu's which are difficult to mod(some have been cracked but obscure and rarely modded cars like hyundais aren't worth the effort). The govt wants us to all never mod our cars so greenhouse targets etc are met.

The re-flashed ecu's often need a new chip soldered in first, or they are the older types(ie x3 accent/excel)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You mean the air fuel metering device code lol I dealt with that quite a bit, need more specifics like the code #.....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Originally posted by wilburisthecoolest
[body]
What if you have a check engine code that says... 'factory fuel air ratio error'... thats umm weird, and it makes my car run like ****... :ermm:
[/body]
Do you have an AFC of some sort? My ecu threw several funky ace CEL's while under rough tuning. One of the side effects made it _seem_ like I had a bad TPS or MAF sensor.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Apparently, although our ECU`s are common German-made (Bosch or Siemens) commercial units, they are programmed in Hyundai`s own code/language.

This is probably kept secret so as to avoid claims on their (unusually long) warranty, by people doing performance re-maps, which would not be noticed at the Dealerships.

That`s my guess anyway!
Nick.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Originally posted by X3Jason
[body]
Originally posted by wilburisthecoolest
[body]
What if you have a check engine code that says... 'factory fuel air ratio error'... thats umm weird, and it makes my car run like ****... :ermm:
[/body]

Do you have an AFC of some sort? My ecu threw several funky ace CEL's while under rough tuning. One of the side effects made it _seem_ like I had a bad TPS or MAF sensor.
[/body]
afc? ummm no. CAI, headers, full cat-back. ill go to autozone today and have them get me the number. Ive been busy lately.

EDIT: and now its off... :ermm:

[Edited by wilburisthecoolest on Feb 20, 2006 6:31 PM]

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
well, you can get it reflashed, but its mostly done in korea, cuz its easy for the MAP based tibs, nothing you really neeed to 'modify' unless your going for 500+whp. with a good piggy back like emanage, SMT6, or the best, Emanage ultimate, you can do ANYTHING you want, eliminate MAF, control timing completely, and pretty much everything cept fire the injectors.. so theres no need to re map or reflash with good piggyback.

i have the emanage, and a second fuel rail, so ill never be robbed by my ECU of fuel, cuz one rail is controlled via MAP sensor, i have a crack for the ignition, so i can adjust my ign. timing, perdy much all u need for the 300+whp range..

·
Registered
68 Posts
The only reason you would want to modify or flash the stock ecu is to adjust the timing, as piggyback's (safc2etc) are cheap enough to buy and have good results, is to change the timing.

Only time you would change the timing is under boost ...wich is wat we would all like to do...

01IMPORTSHARK wat is your crack for the ignition?

there seems to be 2 ways i have seen...one is to replace ignition setup with dsm parts....?
seems a bit tricky and alot of effort.
other is to modify the CAS (crank ange sensor) signal, which i belive unichips do.

Anyone else have some input on this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a stock 1.8 Elantra, was an automatic now standard since I put the standard tranny in my check engine light stays on,,,tells me ECU self test failure, and how do i get rid of the speed limiter?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts