Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, Got A 2004 Xg-350l- Runs Great But Since These Gas Prices Are Going Up Up And Up. The Car Drinks Up Alot Of Gas. Any Suggestions Out There To Stop This. Please Send Me Some Info- Someone Suggested A Chip-it Could Control The Gas And Increase The Horse Power. Get To Me On Your Opinion. Thanks Guys!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
There's not much you can do other than make sure the car is properly maintained and adjust your driving habits to conserve fuel. The 3.5 litre V6 in your car is not particulary fuel efficient.

Don't waste money on some chip claiming to increase your horsepower and reduce fuel consumption. It's not going to happen. That money is better spent putting gas in your tank.

If fuel economy is your number one priority it may be time to change cars.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
most performance mods help gas milage alot.

Going to an aftermarket intake, such as a CAI will help with gas milage alot, and give you some extra scoot. Plus going to a complete aftermarket exhaust system will help that too. Ive gone from getting 26 mpg to getting 37 in the city, and from 31 highway to 45 highway.

The mods will pay for themselves. And yes you can go to an aftermarket exhaust system that will still be quiet. A 'towing' muffler will only make noise when your hard on the gas, cruiseing the car will remain close to facotry in sound volume.

·
Registered
959 Posts
do me a favor, and never, ever, ever use the shift button again. other than that, those chips are all bull ****. never ever ever use them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's not much you can do other than make sure the car is properly maintained and adjust your driving habits to conserve fuel. The 3.5 litre V6 in your car is not particulary fuel efficient.

Don't waste money on some chip claiming to increase your horsepower and reduce fuel consumption. It's not going to happen. That money is better spent putting gas in your tank.

If fuel economy is your number one priority it may be time to change cars.
The 3.5 in comparison to some of the 4 bangers is efficient. I get 27 MPG on the highway. Compare that to the Beta II at 32 MPG. 5 mpg difference and almost twice the size. The problem comes in on this larger engine when you decide to use the power it has. There is ways to get better MPG when combined with easy driving. A free flow exhuast like mentioned above. How ever with a free flow exhaust if you use the power even more fuel will be used. Another way to get MPG is to have the cams reground to have a slightly less duration and slightly less lift, problem with this is you will lose power. Or you can spend lots of money and use technology used in the new smart car. Take the 3.5 replace the rotating assembly with that of the 3.0. Then regind the cams as listed above, bring the duration to about 30 degrees less. Then add a garret t4 turbo running at 3psi. You will end up with the same 190-200hp like stock but 32-33 mpg. But this will cost $7000+ and is not really worth it. Or if you really want MPG trade in the XG on a 07-up Sonata 4 banger or Kia Optima 4 banger; both get 32 mpg and have 160+hp. And are slightly smaller than the XG

·
Registered
4 Posts
give your tires a few more pounds than what's recommended on the door. the tires on my stock 08 sonata are recommended at 30psi, and i have them at 34 psi. can't say how much this helps...but if you think about riding a bike with underinflated tires, it takes a lot more legwork. it definitely won't hurt your mileage. BUT i wouldn't tweak the pressure if you drive in slippery conditions often. perhaps the best way to save gas is to simply not drive :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
mainly, its how you drive. dont accelerate a short distance before you have to stop (a red light or stop sign). accelerating fast is also bad. ease into your speed if you can.

other tips:
-get rid of any extra weight in your car (things stashed in the trunk, etc)
-make sure your tire pressure is correct
-you can get a performance chip if you want. cheap ones are available from ebay. of course, the real results are only a fraction of what is promised.

·
Registered
19 Posts
invest in all of the things above, such as exhaust, cai, tire pressure, if not a larger, lightwieght wheel and tire combo that has a shorter sidewall. reducing rolling resistance will help, along with a 5W20 or a 0W20 synthetic oil that you change regurlarly. Lightweight underdrive pulleys will also help. And the last thing is invest in a standalone ECU that you have tuned as close as possible to a 14.7 a/f ratio without going lean. 12 to 13 is safe while giving you better economy. Keep in mind your factory ecu is wasting fuel, being tuned closer to 10 or 11. this is good for reliability, but bad for fuel mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts