Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, gotta get an O2 sensor for my car, the one before the cat. There are 2 however listed for my 97 Accent GT...I just want to double check, I am pretty sure mine is INLINE with the CAT but I want to make sure before I purchase...thanks in advance.

[Edited by accentguru on Dec 13, 2005 9:01 AM]

·
Registered
270 Posts
If it's a SOHC then you probably have 2 CATs like mine. One is connected to the manifold with a sensor on the manifold, the second CAT is after the flex pipe (on the same pipe) with a second O2 sensor located between them.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming yours has 2 correct? Mine does, the Upstream and downstream.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
What's the problem? Rich, lean? If one O2 isn't working, the engine is metering the fuel based on faulty readings, causing damage to the other O2... amongst other things

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, when I got my emissions test done 2 years ago one of the readings was high and they say it is because the O2 sensor was failing and dumping too much fuel into the engine! So, I figure I will swap them out....They did pull the codes when the check engine light is on, which is not all the time, and they said the O2 sensor was starting to fail. So, I am going to swap both out and see if it helps my gas mileage.

imcastock - In answer to you, I did replace the flex pipe because it was starting to crack.

Gas Mileage is about 425-450 KM per tank depending on how much highway and city driving I do. Car has 208,000kms on it and one of the lifters is also clicking. I mean, the gas mileage is not horrible, but I dont want to fail emissions in 2 months becuase of an O2 sensor!

[Edited by accentguru on Dec 13, 2005 9:01 AM]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts