Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know the shifters on these cars will never be as crisp as if the stick were dropping straight into the tranny (like RWD), but there's got to be some way to tighten this thing up.

Every time I shift it, I can feel the plastic frame flexing, no matter how gently I shift it. How are you supposed to be able to shift quickly in these things? I know a short shifter would help some, but does someone make a replacement metal frame or something?

It feels like it will break any day, I swear. I like the car otherwise, but this shifter has got to be the worst ever.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is your one made of plastic? I have not yet checked out the style of shifter on your model yet(I assumed it would be the same as my X3) You could check out the possibility of using an assembly from a DSM or Mitsubishi (the hyundai shifter assemblies are very flimsy)Another thing you could do is replace all your nylon and rubber bushings for brass ones(an easy job for a machinast)This would stiffen it up consiberably.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
yes, the accent shifter mechanism is a complete POS and it's notchy and hate's to smoothly snick snick...shifting from 5th to 2nd require's major muscle of the wrists,

i hope the guy's at TWM perforance could sell us the CNC Aluminum bushing's...alone.

it's hardly unlikey that the LC2's shifter is smoother than The LC..they're Both Crappy Shifters...both have same gearboxes..

[Edited by TAK82 on Jan 7, 2006 11:11 PM]

·
Registered
466 Posts
Get a short shifter. Makes a huge difference. I have the PSC one and its great.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
nah, i like my stock shifter, with a sort shifter, the height is reduced and you sometime's have to reach out to grab and shift,

just need the aluminum bushings..

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm really glad I read this post, I though my car was the only one, what are some other problems you guys have, with changing gears and stuff?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Speaking for the x3's, they are no better (obviously havent gotten any better lol). My shifter sucks bad.... I have almost mastered shifting my car (still takes way to long neway) but if someone else were to drive it hard it would crunch crunch crunch....

·
Registered
978 Posts
the crunching is your foot not working in conjunction with your hand for the most part.

When shifting fast, sometimes your hand moves faster then your foot does, you are excited, and it's your fault. More so if you do it fine otherwise, like when driving normal.

If you literally take a second, push clutch to floor, then put hand on shifter, shift, then release clutch, and there is a grinding anywhere in that proceedure, you have mechanical problems. If it's fine when shifting slow, but crunches when shifting fast, then it's your fault.

check to make sure that your floormats or aftermarket pedals are not hitting the floor and keeping you from fully disengaging the clutch before your shifting. I know that the lc does not take to aftermarket pedals because I have tried them. (some styles)

Good luck.

the shifter is sloppy

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Originally posted by TAK82
[body]
nah, i like my stock shifter, with a sort shifter, the height is reduced and you sometime's have to reach out to grab and shift,

[/body]
twm sells them alone. check the site out again. i just bught some for my tib. they dont offer a 6 speed sts, so i got the bushings from them on the 5 speed kit and got the B&M sts... works great.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I bought my car w/ 52,000 miles and if i shifted in high rpm it would grind (with the clutch all the way in). Its just always been that way...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well in the morning mostly, or when my car isn't warm, no matter how I shift I get some noise going from 1st to 2nd.

someone suggested lighter gear oil?

is there anyway to adjust anything to maybe get a better working clutch and shifter?

or anyway to tighten the clutch pedal up somehow?

[Edited by Danath256 on Jan 9, 2006 6:28 PM]

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Not positive about yours but the clutch pedal freeplay can be adjusted on my car. Look above the pedal for a threaded metal rod with a nut on it. Loosen the nut and spin the rod to raise or lower the clutch (to add or remove freeplay). You can check hmaservice.com for the specs on where it should be. I have played with it alot with no real results from it. I also have an upgraded clutch.... With the clutch spring mod.....

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Originally posted by thegrim
[body]
Originally posted by TAK82
[body]

[/body]
twm sells them alone. check the site out again. i just bught some for my tib. they dont offer a 6 speed sts, so i got the bushings from them on the 5 speed kit and got the B&M sts... works great.
[/body]

so you're telling me that the aluminum bushing's for the GK Anfd The XD Wil fit and replace the one's on the LC?

They seem to have only application's for the tiburon and the elantra, but not accents.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The elantra shifter linkages are exactly the same as the accents and also the tib from memory so they should work fine. If your looking at short shifters they will all say for elantra, tib, accent.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote: danath256
Well in the morning mostly, or when my car isn't warm, no matter how I shift I get some noise going from 1st to 2nd.

someone suggested lighter gear oil?

is there anyway to adjust anything to maybe get a better working clutch and shifter?

or anyway to tighten the clutch pedal up somehow?

it sounds more like your sincro is worn i have had my x3 since new and went through 4 gearboxes in the first 60000 kms unfortunatly they have reeeely crap gearboxes mine grinds too because these cars were never meant to be driven the way we do! (burnouts & raceghanges) it was fine to begin with but i could feal it gradualy gettin worse.
1st to 2nd grinds most cause this is the gear that gets slamd the most.

A shortshifter will NOT fix this prob nor will clutch freeplay adjust, the only way to fix the problem is to fix the sincromesh but.... if your like me and need to hear your tires cherping and continue slaming the gears the problem will arise in no time again.
The other thing you may try is a beta swap from what i have heard the lantras have a much beter box on them. im yet to do this but is on my list;):

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote: meee2yo
If you literally take a second, push clutch to floor, then put hand on shifter, shift, then release clutch, and there is a grinding anywhere in that proceedure, you have mechanical problems. If it's fine when shifting slow, but crunches when shifting fast, then it's your fault.

This is wrong! becaue if the sincromesh is worn it will not have time to speed up the gear you are changing to when changing fast.
If you push the clutch in (higher rpm you will notice this more) and hold the shifter up against the gear you want to shift to with a gential but firm pressure you will feel the gears speed up then will drop in, this will stop the gears from grinding but is one of the slower ways to shift. I only do this when im lazy or got somone in the car, i still slam them cause its faster.:evil:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Also if u do burnouts,standstills,rollbacks,reverse dohnunt or even to many second gearies around corners you will find yourself taking your tranny home in a doggy bag (literaly!), The spindil shaft the spidergears run on snaps and shoots straight out the side of the box along with the gears that "were" on it.:puzzled:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well its good to know someone else is having some problems, I thought I got a lemon, I bought my car with a little under 60,000 on it. Having trans problems, I kept complaing about it to the dealership.

So all in all I got a "new" transmisson, and I haven't been doing burnouts or slamming gears which is the part that pisses me off the most

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
978 Posts
Originally posted by daihard
[body]
Quote: meee2yo

This is wrong! becaue if the sincromesh is worn it will not have time to speed up the gear you are changing to when changing fast.
If you push the clutch in (higher rpm you will notice this more) and hold the shifter up against the gear you want to shift to with a gential but firm pressure you will feel the gears speed up then will drop in, this will stop the gears from grinding but is one of the slower ways to shift. I only do this when im lazy or got somone in the car, i still slam them cause its faster.:evil:
[/body]
Yeah, but it sounds like he is shifting before he pushes the clutch in all the way so that was to see if the synchos are screwed to begin with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts