Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's my dilema.

Back in the day (a couple months ago) my fuse blew for my sunroof/clock/bing bing part of my car. I put in a new fuse, it worked, turned off the car, turned it back on, and it was blown again. I put a new fuse in, 2 seconds later, blown. Then it got to the point that once a fuse would touch the metal it would blow out. What is the problem?

I took it to Hyundai and they did some "computer work" and can't find a problem. My electrical mod's don't have much to do with it I dont think because this problem didn't arise right after a new mod, or during one, so I'm not sure what it could be. Anyone???

p.s. I'm almost about to hit 60000 miles, so I'd like to fix it before the warranty is out!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If you've still got warranty, taking it to the dealer is probably your best bet.

if you are determined to fix it yourself, get yourself a multi-meter. Make sure there is 12V at the right side of the fuze and ground on the left side of the fuze. If both sides have 12V, that's part of your problem.

Also, check the sunroof switch ground (PITA, you have to pull the switch off the headliner to get to them), but check contitunity between the switch ground and battery ground or negative terminal of battery. Also check resistance between the switch ground and the chassis. Should be less than 10 Ohms(preferably under 1-2 Ohms). Any more than that and chances are your ground wire is bad.

If you work at the electrical problem , with the multimeter, you'll eventually get it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i did take it to the dealer and they said they couldn't figure out theproblem. it was the other hyundai dealer in town, so next time i'm gunna take it to the dealer i actually bought the car from to see if they treat me better.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I took out my stock fog lights & my stock side markers (above fogs under headlights) since they don't fit my body kit. Well, the tape unravelled and the wires were dragging the ground, and I didn't know it. Everytime I would turn my headlights on, it would blow the fuse that controls the passengers side headlight/taillight and I couldn't figure out why. It was shorting out everytime the wires would touch the ground... went through about 6 fuses before I figured it out...

What mods have you done that include electrical work in the dash or anything connected with the sunroof/clock?

Check stuff like aftermarket CD Player, or any electrical work you've done and make sure all wires are taped and nothing is exposed. The tape also unravelled from the Negative on my CD player, and when I would hit a bump, it'd rub against the metal on the CD player and all I would get was bass... no vocals at all... kinda tricked me out cuz I figured if one worked, the other would.. so anyways, check the connections of the mods you've done, then take it to another dealer. Maybe they'll spend time to find out what it is...

[Edited by majikTib on Jul 11, 2003 2:12 PM]

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've got a tv, aftermarket cd player, gauges that aren't wired yet, hood lights, strobes in the corners, inside neons... lotta wires... i'll have to check them all I suppose. Maybe the Hyundai dealer I bought it from will actually care about checking.... :ermm:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
if you've done all that electrical work, and the fault is found to be with YOUR wiring, the dealer will charge you for their diagnostic time. It won't be cheap.:eek:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i know :( that's what they told me, which is why i hope i can find something myself :dead::depressed::disappointed::ermm::??::cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts