Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it is finally time to upgrade the suspension from the eibach springs due to the high cost of camber adjustment (the right way) and the fact that my shocks are starting to loose their dampening. i have been looking at the two main products on the market and that is tein and d2. now i have never herd of d2 and quite frankly the search i did on them online diden't turn up promising results. the other option i had was have ground control custom make me camber plates ($300 each) and then drop in koni shocks and come up with a frakenstine suspension. or just put the tein's in and call it a day, what i am really looking for is someone out there running teins to tell me that they love their suspension and that it was worth the $1400-$1800 that they are going for.
thanks for the help.

·
Registered
737 Posts
(edit)first off, what is your wheel/tire and suspension setup now(shocks, springs, sway bars, camber adjustment, alignment, wheel size, what tire)?
without knowing this what I said below might not help you much(edit)

my advice:
ground controls and konis (heavy springs for your heavy car)
camber adjustment with camber bolts
near stock ride height for travel issues
biggest adjustable rear bar they make for the gk (if you don't already have it)

if you can get 2.0-2.5 degrees of negative camber out of bolts top and bottom then you shouldn't need much more. If you need more you can find out if you can buy just top mounts from tein. What is your sidewall wear like right now? What are your tire pressures when autoxing?

i'm going to be converting to some sort of koni setup on the off season just because they are an american company that can rebuild almost all of their shocks in good ole kentucky.

i've heard of so many autocrossers ditching their japanese coilovers for something tried and true like konis or bilsteins. The money guys don't have a problem with buying motons, ohlins, penskes.... Not to hate on tein but the other companies have been in the highest levels of racing longer and have much more r&d in their shocks.

The ground control sleeves allow you to run any 2.5" diameter spring on the market as well as the ability to adjust height and normal koni yellows should be able to handle 600+ lb springs. If you think you need some better dampening koni can make that happen. They can also shorten them if need be.

i'm sure guys out there love their teins as well, but I definately wouldn't trust a new company like d2. I know how well my ksports(another new company) have held up and imho they aren't that great. this is only my opinion though. If you have different agendas for the car then you might want something different but the advice of an autocrosser is going to be much different then someone who only drives their car to and from work or parks in lots to show off.

good luck on your decision, and i'm still waiting on some hyundai autox competition.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
currently i am running eibach pro kit springs (off the shelf rate) with factory struts and no bar adjustment, for camber with the bolts the most i can get while still feeling safe is -1.3 and for wheels i am running enkei rpf1 17x8 with 245-45 falken rt-615 tires ... however i haven't yet run those tires as i just got them mounted and ballenced last week i ran on 17-7 arospeed rims on general 225-45 tires running 34psi hot and i was just killing the sidewalls but that was with 0 degrees negative camber with that setup.
currently the only camber plate for the car is going with a ground control custom build as tein dosen't sell just the plate of their super street kit.
the rear i have no problem with i am jumping to a ground control bar and ingalls rear lower control arms to fix camber and honestly the factory struts (with a very lightened rear) do just fine for dampening.
thanks for your input and next year in september i am relocating to aberdeen md and should be closer to you for racing.
now i just have to find somewhere to race for the rest of this year they have canceled the last two events in my area and it is getting on my nerves being i just bought the new tires and wheels.
last week i don't know what the alignment was but i know their was 0 degrees camber and now i am 1 degree negative toe and 1.3 degrees negative camber

·
Registered
737 Posts
well alright:

if you feel confident with your suspension setup i'd try everything out with your new wheel/tire combo and your new alignment.

I wouldn't spend gobs of money unless you really think you need something better.

If you are destroying sidewalls(you might still with only 1.3degrees in the front) run some more pressure up front, its not uncommon to see 50 psi in some stock class cars. with the tire not rolling over so much will help get more rubber down. try a little higher pressure with some shoe polish to see how your doing.

if your only using one camber bolt you could always try 2 to get some more adjustment. or you could do what you were planning and go for the camber plates which is the best solution.

an adjustable rear bar will do wonders for the gk. I had one on my ex's car with the stock suspension and it made a big change in the balance of the car. I think it was a ark adjustable bar. at full stiff it gave some nice rotation(too much on one occasion).

if you have your heart set on some nice adjustable coilovers that aren't sleeves check out the kw's, they are great coilovers and they have 2 different models for the gk tiburon.

The ground control sleeves wouldn't be a bad route either. I had them on my other car and loved them. Its a simple solution for ride height and corner weighting and a spring change is simple and inexpensive. The spring rates ground control recommends would work fine.

I've never been a fan of progressive rate springs so i'd suggest going with at least the ground control kit if you wanted to change the springs.

Everything you do to your car will be personal preference. I know in abouts what works for my car and there are some generalizations you can make about fwd cars. Do what works for you, if you run quality parts you won't ever have a problem. If you go cheap you will wind up where i've been for years. Constantly changing parts out with better equipment.

you should definately make plans to run with wdcr-scca and autocrossers inc. both run at fedex field and our courses are spectacular. there is plently of competition and most everyone is good natured.

hope you get to try out the new package before the end of the season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts